Second Skin Audio

Ported Box questions

Well first of all, I'm not familiar with those specific drivers, so I really couldn't tell you if joex's design is on point, however, it does look to be on point within specs.

And when I say properly designed, I mean an enclosure that suits your drivers vehicle. For example, if you have an SUV, generally best results come from having your subs up, and port firing back towards the hatch. Or in a trunk car, subs and port both facing rear, or forward sealed off work well.

And when I say properly built, I'm talking about a good solid made box with proper bracing, made out of 3/4" mdf or 13 ply Baltic birch (not the home depot crap) and sealed well with no air leaks.

Hope this helps man :drinks:

what i would suggest is checking your dimensions to your cargo area again i drive a 07 escape and the depth is not 25. given the tribute is almost the same vehicle. and if you do manage to fit that in there you will need sub and port up because the hatch will be touch the box

Well first of all, I'm not familiar with those specific drivers, so I really couldn't tell you if joex's design is on point, however, it does look to be on point within specs.

And when I say properly designed, I mean an enclosure that suits your drivers vehicle. For example, if you have an SUV, generally best results come from having your subs up, and port firing back towards the hatch. Or in a trunk car, subs and port both facing rear, or forward sealed off work well.

And when I say properly built, I'm talking about a good solid made box with proper bracing, made out of 3/4" mdf or 13 ply Baltic birch (not the home depot crap) and sealed well with no air leaks.

Hope this helps man :drinks:

Thanks for the insight. In a ported design, Rockford recommends 1.40 cubic feet per driver, which amounts to 5.6ft^3 instead of Joe's listed 5.4ft^3. I don't know if I'm missing any measurements or he shrunk the box on account of tuning(?)

what i would suggest is checking your dimensions to your cargo area again i drive a 07 escape and the depth is not 25. given the tribute is almost the same vehicle. and if you do manage to fit that in there you will need sub and port up because the hatch will be touch the box

I'll check them again, but I do believe I measured 25in from the hatchback to the top of the back seat reclined. I'll double check tomorrow though.

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT (Silver)

Deck: Pioneer X3600BHS

Amps: RF P1000X5

Front: RF P16-S

Rear: RF P1694

Subs: 1 RF P3D2-10

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188246-caliber-build

Professional Networking: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kade-mallett-332b8a104

I'd try and get a little bit more net volume if you have the room. Shoot for at least the 5.6, maybe even a lil larger like 5.8-6.0.

Edit- Just looked at your max dimensions, and you are pretty much at the largest box you can get with joex's design unless you are willing to go a little higher on the height. Or you can use aero ports to save a little more volume.

Edited by sprkn_ranger

Kade you might have missed this note before the specs for vented enclosures:

"Vb is the gross volume, which is the TOTAL internal volume, before any speaker and/or port displacement."

They denote Vb as the gross volume not the net as is usually used for. I use Vb to denote net volume.

*was trying to upload a pic....didn't work...ignore this post*

Edited by Kade

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

I'd try and get a little bit more net volume if you have the room. Shoot for at least the 5.6, maybe even a lil larger like 5.8-6.0.

Edit- Just looked at your max dimensions, and you are pretty much at the largest box you can get with joex's design unless you are willing to go a little higher on the height. Or you can use aero ports to save a little more volume.

Measured everything out again. That 4 sub box is going to take up any and all of my trunk space. I won't have room for my amp rack I've planned out =( I can't figure out how to upload pics, but the 02 Tribute hatch is way larger than an 07 Escape, Ken. From the bottom of the seat. 40x33x18...If I were to recline the seats, 40x25x18.

Kade you might have missed this note before the specs for vented enclosures:

"Vb is the gross volume, which is the TOTAL internal volume, before any speaker and/or port displacement."

They denote Vb as the gross volume not the net as is usually used for. I use Vb to denote net volume.

I didn't think about that. So, when you build a box, you have to take in account the space a physical speaker takes up in a box?

Also, Since the box you first designed is too big for what I'm trying to do in my car, what would I lose if I went to 3 subs in a ported box opposed to 4?

[

I didn't think about that. So, when you build a box, you have to take in account the space a physical speaker takes up in a box?

Also, Since the box you first designed is too big for what I'm trying to do in my car, what would I lose if I went to 3 subs in a ported box opposed to 4?

Right, not only the sub but the port and all the wood and any other thing that sometimes is put in there like bracing.

Well you will have less power handling and an impedance mess since you cant wire 3 D2 subs to 2 ohm.

[

Right, not only the sub but the port and all the wood and any other thing that sometimes is put in there like bracing.

Well you will have less power handling and an impedance mess since you cant wire 3 D2 subs to 2 ohm.

Alright I understand that.

My amp is 1ohm stable. Adding a 3rd D2 sub drops my load down to 1.33ohms instead of 2ohm that I'm running now. I should be safe, right?