Second Skin Audio

Box for 2 12w7

Hey guys I'm trying to help a buddy out by building him a box. When I was young my father used to work building cabinets for kitchens and installing them and what not so he has all the tools and I learned quite a bit from helping. I just need help designing the box. So I know there is a lot that goes into designing a box and from my basic knowledge all I can do is a basic L port box using the RE audio box calculator.

ScreenShot2012-07-03at121055PM.png

If someone would be kind enough I would like to know how to build a box with the woofers facing up and the port back because my buddy has an SUV.

Thanks guys any info is appreciated.

PS I'm not a fan of JL and I tried to talk my buddy out but he's a huge fan boy.

3.8 cubes is fine, as is 30Hz tuning, What are you listening to though, and whats it going in. You can most likely get away with 33-35Hz ( i currently have 2 12s in a 3.8 cube box tuned to 33-34Hz and i fucking LOVE it, but i cant wait to get a/some new sub(s) for the back to replace my 5 year old clarions. but yeah, 3.8 cubes is fine for 2 12s ported.

Might wanna make the port a bit bigger (not much, but a tiny bit) but that wont matter much, youre close enough....Box tuning will rise once you put the subs in also, since they will displace some volume as well. Find WinISD and see how what plots out the best, then use sketchup to design a box.

Edited by siucsaluki11

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

im not really a box designer but 3.8 cubes? and 30hz tuning? id increase both of them. . . IMO though

3.8 cubes is fine, as is 30Hz tuning, What are you listening to though, and whats it going in. You can most likely get away with 33-35Hz ( i currently have 2 12s in a 3.8 cube box tuned to 33-34Hz and i fucking LOVE it, but i cant wait to get a/some new sub(s) for the back to replace my 5 year old clarions. but yeah, 3.8 cubes is fine for 2 12s ported.

Might wanna make the port a bit bigger (not much, but a tiny bit) but that wont matter much, youre close enough....Box tuning will rise once you put the subs in also, since they will displace some volume as well. Find WinISD and see how what plots out the best, then use sketchup to design a box.

I looked up the specs for the Subs and it recommends 1.75 for one so i figured withe the displacement of each being .14 so it should be 3.5 cubs net and 3.5 +.28 should be around 3.8 plus or minus for the 2 braces I plan on inserting.

Would this not be good? or should it be smaller??

Okay the tuning I was honestly ball parking it. So I should tune higher??? my friend listens to similar music to me which is alit of rap and hip hop? so 35Hz around there???

Thanks guys any suggestions are welcome, I'm learning a lot here.

is it main stream rap or a lot of slowed/chopped and screwed type music

team chat assholes ftmfcsw

skittlesRgood[/color]' timestamp='1337803095' post='2027302']

go for it. 1st off, you couldnt get past the gate. second, i wouldnt even hear your system inside my house. third, i would just turn mine up and drown out your system, eat my skittles, and laugh at your pathetic ass.

Well, here is a suggestion subs up/port back, had to make it slightly bigger but it likely will still fit:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 31.5 Hz

Vb = 3.9 ft^3

External Height = 17 in

External Width = 38 in

External Depth = 19 in

Port Width = 3 3/4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Top & Bottom (3 parts) = 38 x 19

Left & Right Sides = 17 1/2 x 14 3/4

2x Front = 17 1/8 x 14 3/4

Back = 38 x 14 3/4

Shared Port Internal Assembly Parts:

2 x Front to Back = 15 5/8 x 14 3/4

2 x Extension = 11 1/16 x 14 3/4

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

TportE.jpg

If you want any changes let me know.

Edited by Joe X

Well, here is a suggestion subs up/port back, had to make it slightly bigger but it likely will still fit:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 31.5 Hz

Vb = 3.9 ft^3

External Height = 17 in

External Width = 38 in

External Depth = 19 in

Port Width = 3 3/4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Top & Bottom (3 parts) = 38 x 19

Left & Right Sides = 17 1/2 x 14 3/4

2x Front = 17 1/8 x 14 3/4

Back = 38 x 14 3/4

Shared Port Internal Assembly Parts:

2 x Front to Back = 15 5/8 x 14 3/4

2 x Extension = 11 1/16 x 14 3/4

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

TportE.jpg

If you want any changes let me know.

Thats great, Im going to go with this and Ill let you know how it turns out, can you just help me with the 45s. How wide should they be? and are they all the same?