Second Skin Audio

quick port question, its been a while since I've worked on a box design...

So im toying around with some new ideas for a box for my 12s. I currently have subs back port into drivers wheel well. I want to just go subs and port back, port between the subs. Now, since the port is going to hit the back wall, i am a bit hazy on how you measure the length still and how wide to keep it.

Isn't it something like you keep measuring so you have the entire length of your port, say you need 28" long and only have 18" deep, you would run it in, then break it off left and right for your ports to each chamber, measure the rest of the way to the end of the port length (to make the full 28") on each side and after it splits so its one port to each chamber its half the width right?

Seeing a few of Joe X's boxes made me want to build a new one. I don't have the time or money to really do much else right now, but i can do a box on the weekends.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

I would not recommend subs up/port back enclosure on a trunk vehicle. I read your question in the other thread. A sealed off front firing box may be one of the better bets for your type of car.

I'm going subs and port back not subs up, don't worry. And sealed facing forward isn't that great an options since my rear seat doesn't fold.... more looking into what the rules are for when the port makes that sort of bed, since i have forgotten them since i haven't designed a box like that in....3 years now....

EDIT: said subs and port back in the OP also....just looking for the rules to doing the port this way, or a link to where i can find it.

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

You would do the 18" back, and then 10" left AND 10" right. And after it splits, each side should have half the width of the straight part. (sounds like you got it right, but wasn't sure with your wording)

I would not recommend subs up/port back enclosure on a trunk vehicle. I read your question in the other thread. A sealed off front firing box may be one of the better bets for your type of car.

not always true. I drive a trunked subaru impreza, and i gained a full dB just by facing my sub up. It's all about testing, every vehicle is different.

SUBSCRIBE AT YOUTUBE! 18abVFL < CLICK!!

2005 Subaru Impreza

My build log.

Head unit- Kenwood Excelon KDC-X695

Front doors- Rockford Fosgate 6.5" Prime components

Rear doors- Rockford Fosgate 4" Punch coaxials

Sub amp- Audiopipe AP18001d

Subs- Two American Bass TNT 10"s

Box- 2.6 cubes @ 34hz, 36in of port

Big 3 & run of Raptor 1/0 to rear powercell

TEAM 808 UPSTATE NY.

ab1.png

Can it be heard 2 blocks away, thats how i rate systems.

You would do the 18" back, and then 10" left AND 10" right. And after it splits, each side should have half the width of the straight part. (sounds like you got it right, but wasn't sure with your wording)

sweet, i got it right, now i just gotta remember how to do the 45s inside the port where the 2 ports meet to become one to lower turbulence, lol. Playing with this stuff again is fun.

you could always port it right into the cabin with a round port.

i don't feel like hacking up my rear deck, nor do i have the time to.....

the way this box is turning out I'm loosing about .8cubes if i change from subs back port to side, to subs and port back, with the port in the middle, box would be around 3 cubes net at 34-35Hz....

Archived