Steps for Fiberglassing Doors?

ok im new to this, but ive been looking into doing this for the past couple of weeks and when you fiberglass shell from the door panel, you pull the shell off of the original doorpanel? and if you were to pull it off to use it, wouldnt the fiberglass shell be bigger somewhat?

Not sure what you mean but if it molds to the panel well it should fit. Best way is to cover a panel with painters tape and foil. Glass the area you want to build based on speaker size and panel contours. I like to use a sharpie once it is cured to get the desired shape and use a dremel to shape it. If I am using a larger driver I can cut a section out of the mold and vent the driver into the door panel. This can reduce the height and gives it a cleaner look.

After you mount the baffles for the speakers on the mold wrap in your favorite fabric (grille cloth is my favorite...just remember to smooth any edges that you are going to wrap. Then reinforce it with a coupe layers of matte and resin inside and outside. Your pod can be finished and mounted. I like to use Bolts and washers to create good attach points for the pod to the door panel. Drill some holes through the back of the door and through the rear of the pod. Then mount. All the attach points are hidden and gives a clean look.

Hope that helps to answer your question.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Last night, I was bored so I decided to look at Fiberglass forums... just to get an idea. I actually found a method that I LOVED

Here ya go..

122338361.jpg

122338379.jpg

and here’s pictures of the new frames, the frames are built out of 4 main pieces instead of about 10...you can also see 2 of the 4 t nut mounts, the other two were added after the rings were mounted and imaged....but I don't have pictures of the completed frames before being covered...

122338407.jpg

and this is them covered with another t-shirt...

122338468.jpg

122338503.jpg

I resined them then will pack them again. Im going to pack them like I did the first ones, as well as do a layer or two on the outside with the mat.

Here they are bondo’d…. oh and to add, these are still very rough in the pics, so yea, they will be glass smooth don't worry….

122790141.jpg

122790156.jpg

122790178.jpg

123910081.jpg

123910110.jpg

I'd get outside pics to show the sparkly stuff but its overcast and about to rain.....but here are some inside pics...

126171584.jpg

Here are them mounted and the speakers bolted in. Missing is the speaker grills, I will use them but Im waiting to make sure everything is how I like it before I put them on. Also, the layer of 'glass I put on the back of my door panels to support the extra weight isn't shown, but its basic.

127886763.jpg

Im mostly likely doing it this way. That way, if I mess up.. I can just throw away the pods and restart.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

hdorre...... Go into Meades youtube vids, go back to 09 era (I believe) and watch the 6-7 vids he did when he made his door panels. There NICE AND LONG VIDS and very informative.. I have a set of door panels for a 99 suburban I will be doing and will be watching those vids to guide me thru it. CHECK THOSE VIDS OUT!

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

Damn, I forgot all about those vids Seth. They were part of the "Rebuild" playlist, right? Thanks. Ill watch those tonight.

LMFAO so true

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

are these steps basically the same if im trying to add a small fiberglass trim panel around my trunk?

see where the carpet is on the left? i want to make a fiber glass removable panel that bonds the carpet to the box so my trunk is sealed? how do i do that?

211nc6e.jpg

• 2 years later...

Last night, I was bored so I decided to look at Fiberglass forums... just to get an idea. I actually found a method that I LOVED

Here ya go..

122338361.jpg

122338379.jpg

and here’s pictures of the new frames, the frames are built out of 4 main pieces instead of about 10...you can also see 2 of the 4 t nut mounts, the other two were added after the rings were mounted and imaged....but I don't have pictures of the completed frames before being covered...

122338407.jpg

and this is them covered with another t-shirt...

122338468.jpg

122338503.jpg

I resined them then will pack them again. Im going to pack them like I did the first ones, as well as do a layer or two on the outside with the mat.

Here they are bondo’d…. oh and to add, these are still very rough in the pics, so yea, they will be glass smooth don't worry….

122790141.jpg

122790156.jpg

122790178.jpg

123910081.jpg

123910110.jpg

I'd get outside pics to show the sparkly stuff but its overcast and about to rain.....but here are some inside pics...

126171584.jpg

Here are them mounted and the speakers bolted in. Missing is the speaker grills, I will use them but Im waiting to make sure everything is how I like it before I put them on. Also, the layer of 'glass I put on the back of my door panels to support the extra weight isn't shown, but its basic.

127886763.jpg

Im mostly likely doing it this way. That way, if I mess up.. I can just throw away the pods and restart.

whattttt where did you find this?

whattttt where did you find this?

I wanna say the Fiberglass Forum.. That, or a GM forum. Its been a while lol

LMFAO so true

Archived