Sundown Audio

Calculating Gain Voltage?

doughboi916

ok, well i just measured mine and for a 2 ohm load @ 656 watts it should have been 36.22 volts.

I got half that. I figured 18.6 was close enough. Sounds absolutely loud and scary, so I'm happy. I don't think it could have gone much further than 20 anyhow... so uh, yeah.

What part I don't get from the chart is how it states amp rms watts or speakers, whichever is lesser. Speaker can take max 400 in sealed, so uh? This is weird.

images-1.jpg

ok im woundering why you would set your dmm to AC volts? The only place you can find AC volts in a car would be inside of the altanator.

because the amp outputs AC voltage through the speaker terminals. DC voltage coming through the speaker terminals is basically distortion

• 2 months later...

Posted Image

ok im not getting this, when i read the ohm at the terminal on my box it reads 1.4 my subs are d1s so im assuming thats good with impedance rise, so to get 3k rms i went for the 1.33 at 63.26 ac volts, first my dmm only does 63.2, 63.3 it doesn't have the 4th one. so i set it to 63.3 and thats barely up on my amp. if i make a mistake and turn it back to far the gain is off. and in order to get my amp to push my subs i have to turn the gain up almost all the way. i have to turn up the sub level on the deck all the way up. bass on hu has to be up as well. im kinda lost i have never had this problem with an amp. usually i turn the bass all the way down sub level at - numbers and amp not much higher than half way. is it normal for a better amp with more wattage to have to be turned up almost all the way? im not retarded but this makes no sense to me

REST IN PARADISE BIG RICH (Sqmonte) never forgotten

Why do you guys ALWAYS dispute on NUMBERS?????

It's such a played out argument, so fucking annoying....

It's 12 fuckin 15's.... It's louder than you... Shut the fuck up...

/Rant

:)

I'm so jealous, it makes me want to club baby seals. That shit gets down HARD!

dont buy from knowledge he will scam you.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/30995-official-knowledge-feedback/

you turn the bass knob up when you set the amp? also did you check where the low pass filter is set? also check the subsonic filter, ive had yimes were the crossovers where set wrong and it cut back on the voltage output

Roseville, CA

you turn the bass knob up when you set the amp? also did you check where the low pass filter is set? also check the subsonic filter, ive had yimes were the crossovers where set wrong and it cut back on the voltage output

im not sure if the know was up ill have to go check it again. bass boost i always i always turn off subsonic was at 38 40is i believe

/Rant

Set it with your subwoofer level volume all the way up on your head unit. With it lower, it's not pushing out the full voltage on the RCAs. I always do bass boost/bass knob disconnected, deck at 0 bass, subwoofer out on h/u all the way up, and set my gains at 3/4 volume on the deck.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

Set it with your subwoofer level volume all the way up on your head unit. With it lower, it's not pushing out the full voltage on the RCAs. I always do bass boost/bass knob disconnected, deck at 0 bass, subwoofer out on h/u all the way up, and set my gains at 3/4 volume on the deck.

hmm.. ill have to try that too, yesterday i did it and with the bass and everything at 0 my dmm only went to 47 and the amp was all the way up :unknw: shit isn't making any sense to me, maybe its my 30 walmart dmm

/Rant

Do this: Set your multimeter to ac, put the pos probe on the inside of the RCA out, put the neg on the outside of the RCA out. Set your volume to 3/4, and turn your sub out to 0. Now slowly turn it up, and watch as your pre-out voltage goes up. It'll be set at max rms voltage all the way up.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

Do this: Set your multimeter to ac, put the pos probe on the inside of the RCA out, put the neg on the outside of the RCA out. Set your volume to 3/4, and turn your sub out to 0. Now slowly turn it up, and watch as your pre-out voltage goes up. It'll be set at max rms voltage all the way up.

i know you dont mean RCA you mean speaker terminal :)

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

Archived