Sonic Electronix

New to the car amp world need help

Crossover point is where one type of speaker, i.e. subwoofer, stops playing, or passes the torch if you will to another type of speaker, i.e. mid to play the next set of frequencies. A high pass filter will block frequencies below a certain point. Your DB/octave rating will tell you how abrubtly those frequencies get blocked, but that may be better saved for another discussion. What he means by "rollover" is that normally there is usually a small amount of overlap in between the upper set of frequencies coming out of one speaker and the lower frequencies coming out of another. In an ideal setup, the highpass crossover for your mids should ever so slightly overlap the crossover point for your subs.

Your speakers will have a rating of what their frequency response range is, so for sure, do not to go outside of that. Your listening preferences should also be taken into consideration when setting crossover points as high volume and low frequency can damage anything that isn't a subwoofer. The louder you plan on listening to it, the higher (to a point) you want to set your crossover.

To sum it all up, being extremely novice and wanting to do your own install, you should also invest in one of Meade's CC-1's and watch some of his tutorials.

Crossover point is where one type of speaker, i.e. subwoofer, stops playing, or passes the torch if you will to another type of speaker, i.e. mid to play the next set of frequencies. A high pass filter will block frequencies below a certain point. Your DB/octave rating will tell you how abrubtly those frequencies get blocked, but that may be better saved for another discussion. What he means by "rollover" is that normally there is usually a small amount of overlap in between the upper set of frequencies coming out of one speaker and the lower frequencies coming out of another. In an ideal setup, the highpass crossover for your mids should ever so slightly overlap the crossover point for your subs.

Your speakers will have a rating of what their frequency response range is, so for sure, do not to go outside of that. Your listening preferences should also be taken into consideration when setting crossover points as high volume and low frequency can damage anything that isn't a subwoofer. The louder you plan on listening to it, the higher (to a point) you want to set your crossover.

To sum it all up, being extremely novice and wanting to do your own install, you should also invest in one of Meade's CC-1's and watch some of his tutorials.

even tho im only running 1 5channel why would i need the cc-1

now i saw couple videos on setting gains and they tell you to turn frequency all the way up and turn gains all the way down... now why do you turn frequency all the way up....

OP, just looked up your amp. For set up and installation purposes, consider Channel 1 and 2 your "Front" , Channel 3 and 4 your "Rear" and of couse the Sub Woofer output it self explanitory.

First things first, it looks as though you can run everything off of this amp with just one set of RCA's coming in, but I hope that you will be running three sets since your deck has the outputs. The Middle set of outputs on the back of the KDC-X996 is the Front out, so connect those to Channel one and two on the amp. The top set of outputs on the deck is the rear, so connect those to channel 3 and 4. Do the same with the sub out on the deck and sub in on your amp.

With three sets of inputs plugged in to the Alpine PDX-V9, I would reccommend the following settings:

x500PDXV9-o_front.jpeg

CH-1/2 Gain: Use the DD-1

HP Filter, When the switch is set to "x1" it is in the 30-600 Hz range and this is where you should need it. If you set the switch to "x10" then you are in the 300-6,000 Hz range which is too high in this application. I would reccommend using a CC-1

Ch-3/4 input, set this at 3/4 as long as you ran a rear signal to the amp.

Ch-3/4 Gain: Again, can't go wrong with the DD-1

Filter: In this case, I would set the switch to high pass and CC-1 it up

The subwoofer section, I would set the subsonic filter to 27-28 Hz, gains and crossover points using the SMD products, and the switch to "sub w." as long as you ran a dedicated set of RCA's for this.

I hope that made sense and helped you some.

when im setting gains do i have to turn anything up all the way in the set up i have? i know gains get set all the way down.

Thats a huge help thank you. now when you set ur hp filter doesnt that depend on what speakers your running? does coaxial or components change wut hp filter you set it to?

did you happen too look up the specs of the front and rear speakers im running cause its components in the front and coaxial in the rear and again im not exactly sure if that makes a difference on nething that has to get set up...Im def starting to understand more of wut the terms mean and how to tune an amp...

now i saw couple videos on setting gains and they tell you to turn frequency all the way up and turn gains all the way down... now why do you turn frequency all the way up....

I wouldn't say the CC-1 is a necessity, you wouldn't use it for gain matching in this case, but is will help you calibrate your crossover points if you want peace of mind that they are right on the mark, especially since the crossover knob on this amp covers about 570Hz in less than one full turn, lots of room for error.

I wouldn't say the CC-1 is a necessity, you wouldn't use it for gain matching in this case, but is will help you calibrate your crossover points if you want peace of mind that they are right on the mark, especially since the crossover knob on this amp covers about 570Hz in less than one full turn, lots of room for error.

If a CC-1 is out of your price range, PM me and I will walk you through how to do it accurately with a multi meter.

But if you can afford it, get the CC-1. Much more user friendly ;)

when im setting gains do i have to turn anything up all the way in the set up i have? i know gains get set all the way down.

Thats a huge help thank you. now when you set ur hp filter doesnt that depend on what speakers your running? does coaxial or components change wut hp filter you set it to?

did you happen too look up the specs of the front and rear speakers im running cause its components in the front and coaxial in the rear and again im not exactly sure if that makes a difference on nething that has to get set up...Im def starting to understand more of wut the terms mean and how to tune an amp...

Archived