Sonic Electronix

alternator whine caused by turnon lead in rca's?

i just installed a new alpine radio today, i wired up my intergrated turnon wire in these rcas and now i have a low alternator whine comming from my 4 channel, could the turn on lead be the cause?

http://www.darvex.com/store/pc/Sound-Quest-by-Stinger-20-LED-RCA-Interconnects-120p918.htm

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

funny, i cant get rid of my alt whine either, ive tried ground loop, new rca's and such but still stay their, damn cherokee always has to be a bastard somewhere lol.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

Disconnect the turn on in the RCA's, turn the radio on, then use a small jumper to jump from the BATT input on the amp to the remote input. this will turn th eamp on. If the noise is there, the lead in the RCA's is not the issue, if it is gone, run a new remote turn on.

My guess is that is not the issue. 4 out of 5 times it is a bad ground, ground loop, bad/cheap RCA or RCA input jack on the amp or deck, or just a crappy amp.

Brian

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Ever since i installed those ive had noises. I already grounded my rcas along time ago when i blew that fuse inside the headunit but i havent bought any new rcas yet. It got much quieter when i switched amps but its still there. Bought them dirt cheap when darvex had that one day sale so i cant complain lol.

well i have a knukoncepts rca with a turnon lead that dosent make noise but thats on my sub amp, so i dont really need the lead on those other two rca's i just wired them so they would light up, i'll disconnect em tomorrow and report back, oddly enough it never did this with the dual

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

Alternator whine is usually caused by 1 of 3 things.

A bad ground someplace along the stereo.

Shorted out RCA preouts on Pioneers when the pico fuse blows because people hotswap rca cords (meaning they unplug and plug rca's in and out of the radio or amp with the stereo turned on and they short the rca out by grounding out the center positive pin of the rca cable.

RCA cords are ran too close to a high current power cable (such as the power wire for your amps).

A ground loop isolator is only a band aid to the problem and limits the noise a little because the preout voltage from the headunit is being decreased by the ground loop isolator making the whine not as loud, but in return making your speakers not as loud from whatever amp the isolator is used on due to the reduced rca preout voltage. So you than have to turn the amp gain higher only to have the whine just as loud as it was before.

Things to try to fix your problem are:

Make sure your RCA cords are not crossing the path of your power wires anywhere, always run power/ground wires down the oppisite side of the vehicle as the RCA cords. Most the time rca cords usually pass close by your power wires in your amp rack or whatever your method is to mount the amp(s).

Make sure all your amplfier grounds are good and tight, grounded to the vehicles frame or strong thick body panel with the paint removed and the ring terminal is secured with a bolt and nut.

You can also trying to reground your headunit with a better ground and not use the vehicles factory ground in the oem radio harness ( make sure to test if this fixed the issue, if not and the whine is still there move onto the next step while your radio is pulled out).

Ground the outer rca jackets on the back of the headunit (especially if its a pioneer, but Ive seen the issue on alpines too).

Like this or you can take your radio apart and resolder the blown pico fuse if your good with small electronics.

95641.jpg

check list

rca's and power wire on opposing sides....... check

good tight ground........ check

is it a pioneer............... nope

hot swapped rca's on amp .... nope

factory radio ground.............. yes gonna relocate it

grounded rcas............. not yet

Alternator whine is usually caused by 1 of 3 things. A bad ground someplace along the stereo. Shorted out RCA preouts on Pioneers when the pico fuse blows because people hotswap rca cords (meaning they unplug and plug rca's in and out of the radio or amp with the stereo turned on and they short the rca out by grounding out the center positive pin of the rca cable. RCA cords are ran too close to a high current power cable (such as the power wire for your amps). A ground loop isolator is only a band aid to the problem and limits the noise a little because the preout voltage from the headunit is being decreased by the ground loop isolator making the whine not as loud, but in return making your speakers not as loud from whatever amp the isolator is used on due to the reduced rca preout voltage. So you than have to turn the amp gain higher only to have the whine just as loud as it was before. Things to try to fix your problem are: Make sure your RCA cords are not crossing the path of your power wires anywhere, always run power/ground wires down the oppisite side of the vehicle as the RCA cords. Most the time rca cords usually pass close by your power wires in your amp rack or whatever your method is to mount the amp(s). Make sure all your amplfier grounds are good and tight, grounded to the vehicles frame or strong thick body panel with the paint removed and the ring terminal is secured with a bolt and nut. You can also trying to reground your headunit with a better ground and not use the vehicles factory ground in the oem radio harness ( make sure to test if this fixed the issue, if not and the whine is still there move onto the next step while your radio is pulled out). Ground the outer rca jackets on the back of the headunit (especially if its a pioneer, but Ive seen the issue on alpines too). Like this or you can take your radio apart and resolder the blown pico fuse if your good with small electronics. 95641.jpg

This should be a sticky! Great info for a common problem.

New build coming........

YouTube:http://www.youtube.c...6?feature=guide

Old Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d-on-the-cheap/

Old Screen name: Redrebel66