Sundown Audio

Things to know about running .5 ohm.

Semper

So, what are things I should be aware of when running at .5 ohm.

Crescendo: Are these okay to run @ .5 ohm daily?

Impedance rise: If you're @ .5 ohm and you're getting box rise, how long until the impedance stops rising. What factors are involved and what pre-cautions can we take to minimize box rise when running @ a low impedance.

Pros & Cons?

Is .5 ohm only used for competitions and is it okay for daily setups ( gain all the way down, bass boost all the way down [lolalways] )?

If I were to run at .5 ohm, what could cause my amp to fry and why. Would it take my subs out with it, or just the amp?

New Setup;

H/U; Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Wiring; 2 runs of 2/0 OFC & Big 3.

Subs; 2 D1 DC Level 4s.

Monoblock; DC 3.5k.

4 Channel; JBL GTO1004.

Highs; Vifa NE25VTS-04.

Mids; Aura NS6-255-8A.

Alt; 160a.

Batts; Optima, KHC1800.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, from what I've read, you need very good electrical to run .5 ohms, and Crescendo says you can do .5 ohms with good electrical.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

doesnt running .5 ohm draws double the amount of amps? would rather much run 2 amps and get twice the power than to run .5 ohms for just a few hundred watts and risk frying equipment

I'm sire, but what's considered 'good enough'

New Setup;

H/U; Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Subs; 2 D1 DC Level 4s.

Monoblock; DC 3.5k.

4 Channel; JBL GTO1004.

Highs; Vifa NE25VTS-04.

Mids; Aura NS6-255-8A.

Alt; 160a.

Batts; Optima, KHC1800.

I would only run .5 ohm for maybe a competition, other wise if you wanted more power, why not just upgrade the amp? Inside of risking frying something with almost doubleing the current draw.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

I would only run .5 ohm for maybe a competition, other wise if you wanted more power, why not just upgrade the amp? Inside of risking frying something with almost doubleing the current draw.

because I have d2s. Its nearly impossible to find an amp to push 2k @ 2 ohms without spending 500 dollars.

New Setup;

H/U; Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Subs; 2 D1 DC Level 4s.

Monoblock; DC 3.5k.

4 Channel; JBL GTO1004.

Highs; Vifa NE25VTS-04.

Mids; Aura NS6-255-8A.

Alt; 160a.

Batts; Optima, KHC1800.

Depends entirely on the amp. If your amp is rated at 1 ohm and 80% efficient there (thats being generous) then at .5 ohm it may only be 60-70% efficent depending how far you push it, assuming you have the electrical to keep it happy and that its guts can keep up too.

In short, dont bother pushing your equipment beyond its rated tolerances if you dont want to be replacing it.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

because I have d2s. Its nearly impossible to find an amp to push 2k @ 2 ohms without spending 500 dollars.

long story short, you get what you pay for.

if you spend $200 on a 3.2k amp, you wont be getting 3.2k guaranteed. (aka what i've done)

whereas if you spend $700 on a 3.5k amp you will almost always be getting 3.5k if not more.

'08 Chevy Cobalt coupe 2.2 base model trunk build:

2 9512iSC flatwound alum 1.5 coils

-extra 9500 spider pack

-8" platinum carbon dustcaps

1 DD Z1 (.375ohm nominally daily)

3g31 AGM

320a Ohio Gen alt

1 DD S4 4 channel

4 VO-M8v1's (holes cut for 3rd pair)

2 CS 6.5's

2 VO-B1's

Sony XAV-601BT

all Knu Krystal RCA's

Cadence 7band EQ

148.3db @ 32hz (burp)

148.4 @ 37 & 38hz (burp)

146.xdb 90sec average (center windshield)

Archived