Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer options/Limited space for ground pounding bass

Looking for ground-pounding bass in limited space. I have a 2007 Ford Escape and wife will only let me use hatch space. Does anyone have any suggestions on what "size and brand" subwoofer would be best to use for this vehicle application? Can someone please help me !!!! The amps I currently have for power are 2 older model Alpine MRP M-500. I know I probably need to upgrade them but I am on a budget and I have to work with them for now.

Post the maximum dims for your box and your budget for the subs.

^x2

Under Construction

2011 Malibu 1LT

12k DDM Tuning HID's 55W

Soundstream 6.5 components(front)

Inffinitty Kappa 6x9's (rear)

Thanks for keeping it real Kranny, I appreciate it. Im new to the game and just looking for some insight on a solid subwoofer that will perform well on 1000 watts. Thanks again

ground pounder and budget don't go hand in hand :P but you've always gotta start somewhere. I suggest starting small. The DC lvl 3 series is rated at 900wrms. Those should perform fine with that kind of power. what size sub?

Thanks for keeping it real Kranny, I appreciate it. Im new to the game and just looking for some insight on a solid subwoofer that will perform well on 1000 watts. Thanks again

ground pounder and budget don't go hand in hand :P but you've always gotta start somewhere. I suggest starting small. The DC lvl 3 series is rated at 900wrms. Those should perform fine with that kind of power. what size sub?

So true, but Id rather get info to start with something decent than going out and buying something that isnt going to last yet alone perform. Probably gonna go with a single 12 or 15 if space allows. Thanks.

Cone area is king here if you are limited on power, so i'd see what kind of space you were working with and select the largest driver possible for your application. If you are planning on keeping stock electrical, possibly look into the Sundown SA Series 15". I say this because it is rated at 600wrms, and if you are on stock electrical (ie stock alternator and just the stock underhood battery) you will see voltage drop, and not to mention that there will always be impedance rise. So after everything is taken into account, that 1000 watt amplifier will be doing less than rated power. By using a driver rated for lower power handling, after inefficiencies, it should be seeing right around rated power.

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

WOW ... The words "Limited Space" and "Ground Pounding" in the same thread ...

Whats this world comming to ??

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived