Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer options/Limited space for ground pounding bass

http://psicaraudio.com/products-page/platform-1-subwoofers/15%e2%80%b3-platform-1-subwoofer/

Go with this, build your own box built to specs. Just build it as wide & deep as your hatch can comfortably fit.

Then go for height.

Have the sub & port firing up. Try to get as much cuft as you can. Go for 5-5.5 if you can ( you should be able to ). Tune to your liking, but I'd personally go with 32-34hz.

New Setup;

H/U; Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Wiring; 2 runs of 2/0 OFC & Big 3.

Subs; 2 D1 DC Level 4s.

Monoblock; DC 3.5k.

4 Channel; JBL GTO1004.

Highs; Vifa NE25VTS-04.

Mids; Aura NS6-255-8A.

Alt; 160a.

Batts; Optima, KHC1800.

my 1 set up for the last couple years has been a pair of jl 13w1 subs running 2ohm off an mrp-m500 , in a sealed box and i thought the performance from this package was pretty alright .if space is an issue i would start thinking about making something out of fiberglass to maximize the space available . being a hatch car it shouldn't take too much to get some volume

Thanks for keeping it real Kranny, I appreciate it. Im new to the game and just looking for some insight on a solid subwoofer that will perform well on 1000 watts. Thanks again

ground pounder and budget don't go hand in hand :P but you've always gotta start somewhere. I suggest starting small. The DC lvl 3 series is rated at 900wrms. Those should perform fine with that kind of power. what size sub?

So true, but Id rather get info to start with something decent than going out and buying something that isnt going to last yet alone perform. Probably gonna go with a single 12 or 15 if space allows. Thanks.

Post the maximum dims for your box and your budget for the subs so that you can receive better advise.

dimensions you have to work with...as well as budget for sub/s....you will get better advice if we know how much room and money you plan to work with...

or you can just have people throwing out their preferred brands and sub sizes....

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

Cone area is king here if you are limited on power, so i'd see what kind of space you were working with and select the largest driver possible for your application. If you are planning on keeping stock electrical, possibly look into the Sundown SA Series 15". I say this because it is rated at 600wrms, and if you are on stock electrical (ie stock alternator and just the stock underhood battery) you will see voltage drop, and not to mention that there will always be impedance rise. So after everything is taken into account, that 1000 watt amplifier will be doing less than rated power. By using a driver rated for lower power handling, after inefficiencies, it should be seeing right around rated power.

Appreciate all the info, a lot to take in but you make some good points. I plan on getting an extra battery before everything is installed and eventually getting high amp alternator as upgrades are done. Thanks.

Thanks for keeping it real Kranny, I appreciate it. Im new to the game and just looking for some insight on a solid subwoofer that will perform well on 1000 watts. Thanks again

ground pounder and budget don't go hand in hand :P but you've always gotta start somewhere. I suggest starting small. The DC lvl 3 series is rated at 900wrms. Those should perform fine with that kind of power. what size sub?

So true, but Id rather get info to start with something decent than going out and buying something that isnt going to last yet alone perform. Probably gonna go with a single 12 or 15 if space allows. Thanks.

Post the maximum dims for your box and your budget for the subs so that you can receive better advise.

I can go 36"w 22" deep and 20" high. Sorry about that.

dimensions you have to work with...as well as budget for sub/s....you will get better advice if we know how much room and money you plan to work with...

or you can just have people throwing out their preferred brands and sub sizes....

I can go 36" wide 22 deep and 20" high and Im looking to spend between $300-$350. i know its a small budget for a quality sub but Im just looking to get my feet wet with something decent rather than just go out and buy a low quality sub. Preciate it.

my 1 set up for the last couple years has been a pair of jl 13w1 subs running 2ohm off an mrp-m500 , in a sealed box and i thought the performance from this package was pretty alright .if space is an issue i would start thinking about making something out of fiberglass to maximize the space available . being a hatch car it shouldn't take too much to get some volume

Ok cool. Fiberglass is an expensive option but well worth it I have heard. Clean looking and soild if done right.

Archived