Second Skin Audio

custom BL18 box built to spec sounds like crap

ncc74656

siucsa, i am trying to find what others have been doing with there build while at the same time trying to check on the box that is currently built. I am saying that to out right dismiss the box builder as a hack may not be the best way to go about figuring things out. rather than just saying he sucks i want to hear why, what should be done differently, and what others have done. i say this as he is not some guy i met on the street but someone who came highly recommended. I am trying to formulate my own opinions and figure things out for myself at the present time.

nothing, gutted

i believe (i may be wrong here) that the additional port was added after the sub failed to perform to expectations and the assumption was lack of air flow. i am going to discuss some options with the builder shortly. i am mostly trying to understand all the reasoning behind each choice and make educated decisions on my box.

nothing, gutted

He should have built a ported box to Fi's volume specs. with 12-16sq.in. of port area per cubic foot of volume.

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Pioneer 9400BH Fi Q 15, SAZ1500dV3

The first build>>> http://www.stevemead...-outback-build/

140.9 @ 36hz Sealed on dash!

REBUILT!!! 2 Fi Q 15s, 2 SAZ1500dv3 146.9 @ 39hz dBDRA certified

siucsa, i am trying to find what others have been doing with there build while at the same time trying to check on the box that is currently built. I am saying that to out right dismiss the box builder as a hack may not be the best way to go about figuring things out. rather than just saying he sucks i want to hear why, what should be done differently, and what others have done. i say this as he is not some guy i met on the street but someone who came highly recommended. I am trying to formulate my own opinions and figure things out for myself at the present time.

what are your max dimensions, ill see if i can't whip something up for you real quickly, just gotta switch from Mac to PC...time to restart the computer, once you post your max dimensions.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

i believe (i may be wrong here) that the additional port was added after the sub failed to perform to expectations and the assumption was lack of air flow. i am going to discuss some options with the builder shortly. i am mostly trying to understand all the reasoning behind each choice and make educated decisions on my box.

A port is there to give desired port area or the driver(sub) needs, PLUS get you to a desired frequency. Adding a port without doing any sort of math or reasoning doesn't make sense. KNOWING prior that I'm going to,"add another 12" of length to my port will increase my port area to 14 square inches per cubic foot of airspace, while at the same time, raising my tuning frequency by 6 Hz" is the best approach.

^^^thats obviously a generic explanation and doesn't apply to your situation. It's an example of what a box builder SHOULD be thinking like.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

my measurements are as follows. rear seat of dodge ram (quad cab). 21" from back of seat to front passenger seat in a some what mid lateral position and slightly tilted back. 28" from rear seat to bottom of rear window, 36" width wise to give a bit of room in the back seat for tool boxes. these numbers can be stretched and moved a bit if needed.

nothing, gutted

Archived