boomin' brick 93' Volvo 240 build (4) 10's - Update: 6-20-14 EQ Install w/Build Pics

I got a few updates even though this weekend was a bust for working on the volvo. I spent saturday putting a new head unit, sub amp and front and rears speakers in my girls ride and today the weather is sucking pretty good, which sucks cause i really want to get this thing done so i can start on my next project which is way better than this one.

I have now installed the sub box for the last time and bolted her in.

IMG_1665.jpg

those are some of Home Depot's finest angle brackets hahaha. But they are pretty strong, strong enough for my needs, and they just keeping the box from sliding back since that is the only place it can go lol.

I used some 1/4-20 nut-serts to mount them to the car.

IMG_1663.jpg

finished up a few odds and ends too before I reinstalled the box.

IMG_1667.jpg

I threw some carpet on the brace where the armrest folds down. This just keeps people from seeing sound deadener when they fold it down. I also ran the leads for my rear speakers which was much easier when the box wasnt in the trunk.

You cant see it in the picture but I also put some lag bolts through the rear deck into the top of the sub box. not so much for holding the box as it is to keep the rear deck from vibrating because of the subs. now everything is nice and solid and i can now move onto finishing up the trunk and then onto the building a brand new rear deck to hold my brand new rear speakers.

IMG_1662.jpg

Those are fosgate's 6 3/4 inch T1's. not a bad speaker, they sound pretty nice in my girl's ride so i picked up a set for the Volvo.

I might post picks on here of the stuff i put in her car. I'm not sure if i will depends if anyone cares lol

Looking really clean man, and that's a very condition the Volvo is for how old it is, good solid cars.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Looking really clean man, and that's a very condition the Volvo is for how old it is, good solid cars.

thanks alot man i appreciate it. they really are solid cars, the doors still shut like it was brand new "CLICK" lol

great build so far :) and glad to hear you got back into the audio game! i gotta learn how to fiberglass..... doesnt look hard...just tedious.

but anyways....nice!

and yes would love to see pics off g/f's system too!!!

i think there real i was looking through that guys stuff he sells and it looks like he finds stuff at auctions and just sells it

Yea, it looks like someone got the mids about a month ago....shit. If I had a whole Hertz front stage my ears would jizz all over my cheeks.

/ LOL

My Low Budget Build:

Green 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon 147k- $1K

headunit- pioneer premier deh-p650-$25

4 Lead acid batts. 1 up front and 3 in back- vented outside.- $50

4 vvme L11 10"s <- $30 shipped a piece

6 cu. ft box (after displacment) tuned to 32ish hz with 10 inch sonotube. -about $50 all together maybe a lil more

2 aspm 1300 strapped

Selenium 6"s in the front doors on headunit power- for now -$20

quantum tweets in door-for now -$10

boston acoustic 5 1/4 in rear doors- for now-Free

big 3

1/0 and 4awg throughout.

roof sound deadened (not peel n seal ftw)-free

on 80 amp alt (bench tested to put out 100 amps faithfully) <--?-$10 for test

about $430 for everything<----Not bad at all

still gotta add 3 way crossover, amp for front and rear door speakers and maybe eq

great build so far :) and glad to hear you got back into the audio game! i gotta learn how to fiberglass..... doesnt look hard...just tedious.

but anyways....nice!

and yes would love to see pics off g/f's system too!!!

Thanks man. yeah i forgot how you can love it one second and then the next I'm like why did i start this project hahaha but the good outweighs the bad by tons.

Get a gallon of resin and some MEKP and go nuts lol and your right there really is nothing hard about it, its all about being creative and making something out of nothing. I always found trial and error was the best way to learn. yeah i get frustrated when something doesnt work but i also look at it as i learned a way not to do it and i wont make that mistake twice.

I have to get a few more pics of her car but I will try to get something up either today or tomorrow

time for more updates

I managed to actually work on the car for once hooray lol so i started working on where to put my capacitor and like i said before, i am trying to conserve as much space as possible so i decided to use the inside of my spare tire :)

so its time for my friend the router compass to do work

IMG_1670.jpg

more circle fun :) and it fits so nicely in my spare tire lol

IMG_1671.jpg

then i made this one to fit as far in the spare as possible.

IMG_1674.jpg

that one took some extra routing to make it fit as far in as possible

IMG_1677.jpg

its real handy to have a 1/2 inch straight bit when you have to remove a lot of material. speed's it up quite a bit

IMG_1673.jpg

having this part nice and tight makes sure it fits the same every time

IMG_1676.jpg

I did a little more work to the first piece i made and this is kind of what it will loook like in the trunk

IMG_1680.jpg

next will be some fiberglassing to join them together

got some more work done on the capacitor panel thing lol

first thing i did was lay a couple pieces of thin plastic in the spare tire and inserted my two rings

IMG_1685.jpg

next thing i did was get out my trusty scale and calculator

IMG_1686.jpg

I find this the best way to mix fiberglass resin. its pretty humid out so if I don't mix it perfect it will harden way to fast.

all i do is zero out my bucket on the scale, then fill it with however much resin I think i will need. after that I take the weight of the resin and use the calculator to figure out what 2% of that weight is. then i use the scale to weigh out that amount in MEKP. that gives me a perfect mix every time.

Next i laid out some mat and resined the crap out of it lol

(sorry i don't have more pics of this but i work by myself so its hard to take pics when I'm doing something messy like this)

IMG_1688.jpg

once it was dry i just popped it out of the wheel

IMG_1689.jpg

ok so it didnt just "pop out" and i had to use my air chisel with a hammer tip to get it out hahahaha

the bottom was a little thin from all the material i took off the back side so i decided to lay some mat to make sure it stays strong

IMG_1690.jpg

next for this thing will be some body filler to make it all nice and pretty

I also want to thank everyone for checking out my build and feel free to ask questions. I am having a blast on this site and I'm glad I now have somewhere to share my work.

well heres the little system i put in my girls ride over the weekend. definitely not done yet but a pretty good start

hello there little pile of equipment lol

IMG_1642.jpg

first thing i did was to wire up the radio harness.

heres the nice 70 dollar harness this car needs to keep all the chimes and crap lol

IMG_1643.jpg

then i made solder trees wheeeeeeeeeeeee hahaha

IMG_1644.jpg

here it is all heat shrunk and tied up

IMG_1646.jpg

here it is in the first kit i tried to use

IMG_1647.jpg

i say first kit because even though this kit is listed to fit this car it sure as hell didn't lol it was listed to fit 05 and up equinox's, but it wasnt even close to fitting the dash opening. now i was a little pissed that i now had to call around and find a kit that will fit this car. luckily best buy had it, so I shot over there and grabbed it, problem solved woo hoo. here it is all done.

IMG_1648.jpg

the bluetooth audio feature is pretty sweet, streams from my iPhone to the radio with no cables, high tech hahahaha

next was to replace the all factory speakers with some 6 3/4" Rockford Fosgate T1's

wow GM really went all out with these plastic basket refrigerator magnet speakers hahahahaha

IMG_1654.jpg

unfortunately the holes in the doors were a weird shape and were bigger than the fosgates. so i had to make some spacer rings out of 3/4" MDF, time to get the router compass lol

IMG_1651.jpg

after i cut out the centers i used the factory speaker as a template for my spacers, then all i did was stop my router just before of any of the tab locations.

so next my spacers needed a couple coats of paint to protect them a bit

IMG_1652.jpg

when they were dry i threw em in

IMG_1655.jpg

they sound 100% better than stock, a ton more mid bass. i keep telling her an amplifier on them would make them sound even better so im hoping to be getting one in the near future.

so next on the list was the sub amp. i decided to throw one of my old late 90's rockford fosgate 250x2's under the drivers seat to keep it hidden. she liked it because it doesnt cost her anything.

first thing i did was get the power wire run, which was some RF 4 gauge i had lying around

IMG_1683.jpg

no problems there, ran it through a factory grommet and soldered the terminal that connected to the battery. i also had a RF fuse holder lying around.

next i had to find where i was going to ground it. since its all thin sheet metal everywhere i decided the best place would be a spot right nest to the seat, it was part of a brace so the metal was thicker here

IMG_1684.jpg

I dont like relying on screws to hold my ground wires securely so i used a 1/4-20 nutsert to make sure this thing was solid

when i installed the radio i ran the RCA's and remote turn on out of the back of the dash, so i ran those down to under the seat while i was running the power wire.

and here it is installed under the seat, i wish i had the endcaps for it but oh well

IMG_1692.jpg

she's still trying to figure out what she wants for subs so until then i cant build a box, but when i do build it i will be posting pics for sure.

this is turning out to be a very nice build. Makes me wish I had more money to throw around lol

I like the amp placement, I have thought about doing this when I get my mids/highs amp... hopefully the really small fosgate amps

Archived