Am I overcharging my battery?

it will drop back to resting voltage once you disconnect the charger... mine seem to charge the batteries till it gets to 14.2 to 14.6 then it shuts off. there is nothing wrong with that since thats what the alternator charges to

seems normal for an AGM

it will drop back to resting voltage once you disconnect the charger... mine seem to charge the batteries till it gets to 14.2 to 14.6 then it shuts off. there is nothing wrong with that since thats what the alternator charges to

alright just wanted to make sure thanks guys

The general rule of thumb is you can charge your batteries at 2-2.8 volts over the native voltage of the battery. So if you are using a 12v battery you can charge it up to 14.8 volts safely.

The general rule of thumb is you can charge your batteries at 2-2.8 volts over the native voltage of the battery. So if you are using a 12v battery you can charge it up to 14.8 volts safely.

Close, but not quite. The highest 'safe' charging voltage you can use is 2.4vpc - volts per cell. In a 12v battery with 6 cells, this comes out to 14.4v - a voltage that will produce virtually no gassing. But lots of members on here charge higher than that with no ill effects. Whether or not you can charge at 14.8 without issue is dependent on things like temperature and case thickness.

Close, but not quite. The highest 'safe' charging voltage you can use is 2.4vpc - volts per cell. In a 12v battery with 6 cells, this comes out to 14.4v - a voltage that will produce virtually no gassing. But lots of members on here charge higher than that with no ill effects. Whether or not you can charge at 14.8 without issue is dependent on things like temperature and case thickness.

I wonder why many of today's vehicles charge at 14.6-14.8v?

Voltage drop or loss because of all the shit they have running so after the fact you get down to low 14s at the battery, many companies got smart and started doing PCM control to where the alt shuts down to save the life of the battery even further, us basshead hate those types of vehicles.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

Voltage drop or loss because of all the shit they have running so after the fact you get down to low 14s at the battery, many companies got smart and started doing PCM control to where the alt shuts down to save the life of the battery even further, us basshead hate those types of vehicles.

I understand that, but with just the average amp draw of an idling vehicle with no accessories turned on some vehicles will show 14.6-14.8 at the battery. For instance my wife's old 04' F150 would show 14.6 at the battery and my 01' Suburban would show 14.8v. I come from a much different but at the same time similar hobby of high power CB radio. So electrical systems is somewhere that our two hobbies kind of overlap. In the CB world our amplifiers are very inefficient and while transmitting are running at 100% duty cycle at max drive (where most of us run the amplifiers). So voltage and charging is very important even more so than in car audio. For instance we can't use the small case alts that you guys use because of the excessive amperage draw creates way to much heat and amperage output is nearly cut in half of the advertised output. It's not uncommon to see a competition CB truck running 6-12 large case 320a leece neville alternators and needing nitrous to turn them at 4500-5500rpm.

Most of us run separate charging systems just for our amplifiers at anywhere from 14-20v. And using a number of various batteries I've never seen gassing on charging at 2.8v over the battery/batteries rated voltage. I have seen batteries explode however from newbies trying to run a 16v system using a 12v battery bank, that wasn't pretty.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash on the car audio guys. I love this shit too, but spent all my money in the past on CB stuff instead of car audio. But now I'm starting to get back into the audio stuff hence why I'm here. I just am naturally drawn to this section of the site because in my world the electrical system is the most important part of any build.

Hey guys I installed my battery relay I had and wired it up however, when it would activate it the second battery would be seeing lower than the first battery and then it would SLOWLY climb to near the voltage of the first battery..Does this mean my relay is just shitty and no good? It is like 5 years old, and the posts are pretty dirty and somewhat rusty...