Second Skin Audio

Sub enclosure shape

cheebs

i am thinking about a box for 2 sa-8 v2. i was wondering if shape mattered? if i kept the volume and port volume the same would it matter what shape the enclosure is? and what about the sub mounting? i would love to have the sa-8s inverted. does it matter where i mount the subs as long as it is in the main camber? i have read a lot about how long some ports for these subs can be so say could i make a port that goes from one side of the box to the other and exit out the bottom in a L shape? making more of a wide port than long? i can build a great box but i will admit i don't understand the tech behind what i am building. i have build many boxes for myself and others and they almost always work out.

-port length really isnt an issue unless it is a TON of turns

-shape doesnt really matter too much but does play a part

-inverted is just as fine as regular mounting, just make sure the surround doesnt hit because if it rubs at all it will tear the surround and be bad news

-with ports, dont go too skinny is a biggie, maintain so to speak a 1 : 8 width to height ratio. (ex. dont have a port 1 in wide and 16 in tall)

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

i am thinking about a box for 2 sa-8 v2. i was wondering if shape mattered? if i kept the volume and port volume the same would it matter what shape the enclosure is? and what about the sub mounting? i would love to have the sa-8s inverted. does it matter where i mount the subs as long as it is in the main camber? i have read a lot about how long some ports for these subs can be so say could i make a port that goes from one side of the box to the other and exit out the bottom in a L shape? making more of a wide port than long? i can build a great box but i will admit i don't understand the tech behind what i am building. i have build many boxes for myself and others and they almost always work out.

What vehicle are these going into?

the sa8 are a killer sub but require either a 2x3" x26" or 1x4"x 23" for 33hz @1.2net if using aero's

or 19-23sq" of port for slot,

they require longer ports due to being in such a small box

post some dia, of you truck and see what fits

Here is a suggestion for a box:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 33.8 Hz

Vb = 1.2 ft^3

External Height = 13 in

External Width = 33 in

External Depth = 13 in

Port Width = 2 1/4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Front & Back (3 parts) = 33 x 13

Left & Right Sides = 10 3/4 x 11 1/2

Top & Bottom = 33 x 10 3/4

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 8 1/2 x 11 1/2

Extension = 26 1/4 x 11 1/2

Extension 2 = 2 3/4 x 11 1/2

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

2xSA8v2B.jpg

Let me know any questions.

Here is a suggestion for a box:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 33.8 Hz

Vb = 1.2 ft^3

External Height = 13 in

External Width = 33 in

External Depth = 13 in

Port Width = 2 1/4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Front & Back (3 parts) = 33 x 13

Left & Right Sides = 10 3/4 x 11 1/2

Top & Bottom = 33 x 10 3/4

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 8 1/2 x 11 1/2

Extension = 26 1/4 x 11 1/2

Extension 2 = 2 3/4 x 11 1/2

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

2xSA8v2B.jpg

Let me know any questions.

if i can't find a way to do what i want i might use this one. if i wanted to use an areo port instead of a slot in this box what size would i need?

why exactly does jacob not recommend a sealed box for the sa-8 v2 but has a spec for it on the sundown site.

The sub has an EBP of 97 so is appropriate for ported enclosures, sure you can drop it in a sealed enclosure if you really need to, will loose bottom end and overall output.

why exactly does jacob not recommend a sealed box for the sa-8 v2 but has a spec for it on the sundown site.

The sub has an EBP of 97 so is appropriate for ported enclosures, sure you can drop it in a sealed enclosure if you really need to, will loose bottom end and overall output.

how much low end what are we talking about here? if a good tuning is 35hz does sealed go up to say 45hz? just guessing here i don't have a clue.

Archived