Hey guys n gals, just wanted to share my newest project with you all. Some of you may remember a few months ago when I announced my girl is prego, well she's really prego now! And with this being her 3rd child, her little Ford ZX2 is just too small for our needs. (Although the gas mileage is off the hook!) So I've been looking for an SUV, something decent, yet affordable. I really wanted to find something cheap enough that I could pay cash for, to avoid another monthly payment. But those kind of deals are a dime a dozen.

Well, I guess it was my lucky day, cause I found one of those deals! Actually on Monday morning, we were getting ready to go car shopping, and she sent me to WalMart first to pick up some stuff. But on my way there, I notice an older woman cleaning a nice looking 2001 Ford Explorer, which had for sale across the top windshield. Well, it was my lucky day! The lady tells me all about the Explorer, how they had bought it new in 2001, and her husband had drove it to work and back every day. Well to make a long story not quite so long, my girl really liked it, to my surprise, and so I bought it! I got a good deal, well in my opinion anyway. $600 cash. It does have a problem, it needs a transmission. The one in it now is slipping badly. But I got it cheap enough that after I get that fixed, it is still a good deal! And with no extra car payment, I can still focus on buying a home, which is my number 1 goal in life. So needless to say, I'm pumped!

But I do have a small debate now. Should I buy a junk yard transmission, or just have this one rebuilt? The best deal I have found at a junk yard is $650 plus my old trans. It has less than 100K miles on it. The shop wants a little over $1,000 to rebuild mine, and that includes a new torque converter. Hmm what to do....

I'll put some pics up asap, in the meantime, whatcha think?

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

I'd say get yours rebuilt ...

I've never been kown to truely trust something from a junk yard ... especially in the wife's ride ..

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I'd say get yours rebuilt ...

I've never been kown to truely trust something from a junk yard ... especially in the wife's ride ..

That's a good point, yeah I'll probably just have it rebuilt. Better all the way around! Thanks for the advice!

Here is a pic of the Explorer. It was taken early, so it's still covered in dew. It's definitely a fixer upper, but hey that's what I'm good at anyway!

418552_419874771381854_72474958_n.jpg

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Everything I have heard about Explorer's basically relates to transmission issues. I would definitely come up with the extra cash to just get yours rebuilt, especially if it is in the wife's car.

Either way, that's still a damn good deal overall for what you will be using it for!

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

if it were me id price one out of a junkyard as to have it rebuilt can get costly, ive had 2 of mine rebuilt and its been anywhere from 600 dollars to 1600 dollars just pending on what you want done to it. If you want a new trans, and maybe a shift kit or whatever then id say build it but if not id price them out of a junkyard. Or buy a rebuild kit and take it to somebody because they are going to charge you most the time 20 to 40 % over the starting price just my opinion though

whats wrong with fat chicks? they are like mopeds, as long as your friends dont see you riding it, they are a blast! hahah

I am dumb as a stump. I live in the south and we are all dumb here.

If you can have it rebuilt, speaking financially, then do it. There's nothing about a warranty you can put a price on. Especially if it's her carrying your unborn child. You can never put a price on a piece of mind. I got my F350 tranny rebuilt recently, and while it was pricey, we also have a lifetime warranty on it. Piece of mind baby! Congrats on the deal!

You already have a junkyard transmission why buy another one? Spend the money and have it rebuilt or buy rebuilt transmission that comes with a warranty.

The transmissions I put in here at my shop i get thru Jasper Engines and Transmissions. They come with a 3yr 100k warranty Parts and labor. Cant really beat that. Most of the transmission jobs I do Run about $3000ish. but again 3yr 100k parts and labor on the transmission.

Edited by Keith77

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.