Second Skin Audio

15-18inch SQ sub

Yes, actually you can. If you feel like sealed enclosures don't sound great you might not be building them right. I'm also inclined to believe the OP is not looking for actual sound quality. I also say an FI Q in a sealed enclosure.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

I think it is important to ask what do you consider SQ in regards to the substage?

For me, I am finding out now that I don't like to "hear" the sub but rather feel it add to the overall presence of the music. I think when your ears draw you back when you hear the subs, it's too much in the overall sound of the car. SQ is the exact opposite of what we are looking for in spl.

I agree 100%, I also agree that the qualities of a good sound quality subwoofer is one that is slient, you don't notice it at all but you feel it.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Yes, actually you can. If you feel like sealed enclosures don't sound great you might not be building them right. I'm also inclined to believe the OP is not looking for actual sound quality. I also say an FI Q in a sealed enclosure.

I've heard countless sealed enclosures, built to spec, and done correctly, and they sound terrible, they all have that weird tone I keep hearing.

Edit: Since your a shop guy, you're probably for sealed enclosures cause they're the easiest to build, while ported boxes take time, and planning to design correctly, so I feel like your statement is biased.

Edited by Omega5002

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Ha ha ha ha ha. Yes, because since i worked in a shop i wanted the easiest box to build because everyone knows shops is biased against ported boxes, lol. No way since i worked in a shop that i would have built countless enclosures and setups for all budgets, goals, and installs. You got me ;)

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

If you actually build boxes in a shop and not just grab prefabs out of the stock room, then designing and building a ported box takes no more time then sealed.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Thought with sealed boxes, you just calculate volume, and displacement, that's why I assumed about the shop thing. Thought it simply made the shop guy's life easier when they build sealed boxes, not trying to make fun of anybody and I'm not calling TeamHT stupid.

Edited by Omega5002

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

I did IB in my HT to save me from even having to build a box! :)

Sealed boxes can definitely sound terrible. Some drivers are just not made to be run sealed, but I can assure you a Q in the correctly sized sealed box is not one of them.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

I'd love to hear an infinite baffle setup, never heard one before actually.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

I did IB in my HT to save me from even having to build a box! :)

Sealed boxes can definitely sound terrible. Some drivers are just not made to be run sealed, but I can assure you a Q in the correctly sized sealed box is not one of them.

I think a sealed box is easier to fuck up then ported.

IB is a great choice in a true SQ setup. It's allows the sub to help breath into the setup and not overpower it.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)