Okay, so I have been hunting down a Astro van for a long time now, just havent had any money yet, but since I had a Plymouth Breeze in my driveway that had some tranny issues, (input and out put sensors, and possible shift solenoid) and a badly cracked front windw I couldnt do a system with anyways, due to the window possibly craking like my other car did....

I decided to look on Craigslist and start seeing if anyone would trade.

I found a 89' Chevy Astro Van with a bad head gasket, okay, sound like some even issues between the 2 cars, asked the guy, he came by, said he will do the trade.

Even tho this has a bad head gasket, Iam stoked, all I gotta do is pay a friend to do it for me, or I can try it myself- I know its cramped in there, and kinda hard to get at, but its do-able

here are the pics, mine VS his for the TRADE!

DSCI0174.jpg

DSCI0176.jpg

DSCI0175.jpg

DSCI0178.jpg

my Breeze has a cleaner interior thats for sure

and the ASStro

1128072312.jpg

1128072313b.jpg

1128072313.jpg

1128072313a.jpg

between the mechanical issues, think I may have came out good on a even trade??

Yeah, Imma wall it, somethin I couldnt do in the Breeze.. hah

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

check the frame, its unibody, if its been wrecked ( it looks like it) they are hard to fix, I had the same van, but ditched it soon as I found out the frame was bent, I was gonna bag mine, they make a kit for them.

You should also hope its not just the headgaskets too, my cousin had me do his headgaskets on a used intrepid he bought and later found out that the trans was goin, the waterpump was shot and it needed a new radiator, after all the knicks and nacks he put more money into it then it was worth.

well, either way, both heads are comming off, and Iam doing a full upper engine rebuild. After looking online , these vans are NOT that bad to work on as most people think. Even throwing 350s is not that bad from what I seen online.

The tranny was freshly rebuilt not long ago, so not worried with that. But I will, as I said, just do a full upper engine rebuild, and check the heads for warpage and cracks, if so off to the astro/safari/mini van junkyard on Recycle rd in Rancho Cordova. I was there once before, and drooled at all the vans

if the frame is bent, Iam not worried about it, unless it effects the driving, and I doubt the frame would be bent with that lil fender bender up front (even tho the frame is behind there a foot or so)

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

sundown.jpg

the problem with mine was that i couldnt get the new panels to ever line up correctly, either had a gap on the hood or at the door/fender on the sides, sucked becuase it drove perfect and Ran real Strong, just becarefull thats all Im saying.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so looks like Iam getting this for sure on Saturday. I got some close pics of the engine, and really got to go thru this thing with a fine tooth comb, looks like a mission to work on it, but actually easier to work on it than most cars.

If I decide to take all emitions off, and do this as a show car - per DMV,(dreaming) anyone know how that works? only get to drive it a certain amount of miles a year, or what? this definitly wont be my daily commuter, just something to have fun with.

So 2 good things happened in the past 2 weeks,

1) promoted at work

2) getting this van

Time to start with the building in about 1 week

already have a box design for this

here are some pics

DSCI0203.jpg

DSCI0202-2.jpg

DSCI0206.jpg

astrowalllll.jpg

astrowallll.jpg

astrowalll.jpg

sundown.jpg

I designed that box on Sketchup before seeing it tonite and getting measurements, the dimensions for a wall would actually be pretty close to about 58w x 48t x 48deep

So, there is a tonnnnn of room back there, but I really want to do a sliding wall, so when I move the box, it tunes it differently as its moved, so its easier to find the sweet spot

or change if I want to play music over burps.

But what do I know, I never did anything that hardcore

sundown.jpg