Second Skin Audio

Sealed or Ported

Melus33

I love sq. No, I realy love sq. I had a Chrysler Cirrus with 4 sealed p3 12's in it. 6.5 comps up front, power 6x9's in the back, 2 set of fanatic tweeters across the top angled down, 3.5's in the dash, and an electrical system upgrade(big3, alt, etc). The system I had before that was much smaller and it was sealed also.

I now have a Mazda MPV(van) and will be starting anew with 4 Rockford T1's on 2T10001bd's. I heard a couple of ported boxes I realy didn't like. Aftermarket and DIY jobs to be specific. Can a ported box have good sq? Hate to lose out on the output but if it comes at the price of sq.... My p3's banged on a T15002 so I am sure the new T1's with over a 1000 more watts is going to be louder regardless.

I listen to hip-hop and bass cds by-the-way. I am crafty and will be taking on the build myself. Debating on building a couple of test boxes, sealed, tuned to 40 hz, tuned to 35hz, but only if I had to. Kinda think it would be a good thing to do regardless though. Then I could hear for myself, but time is always an issue. Has anyone ever heard the same sub in a ported and a sealed box placed into the same car before? Did sq suffer?

a ported box if done right will be louder and if you tune to the type of music you listen to it will sound great

i listen to hiphop and rap im tuned to 33hz sounds awsome

the sub is an sa-8 and is way louder than my type r 12 in a sealed box

for ported boxes you need 12-16 sq in of port area just as a rule of thumb

Bagged 83 C10

89 K1500 

As above if done correctly it will yeald better sq and louder down low

I can do it now as I'm mobile, but you'll need graph then and find the sweet sport for sq,

Normaly is around the 27-29hz for a lot of subs,

But without lookn into it I'm just guessing what your will be,

If done a few pairs of sa12 in 3.7net at 28hz and they sounded really nice, the didn't get the same output as a 33-37hz tune but it washer then it's seales counterpart,

As above if done correctly it will yeald better sq and louder down low

I can do it now as I'm mobile, but you'll need graph then and find the sweet sport for sq,

Normaly is around the 27-29hz for a lot of subs,

But without lookn into it I'm just guessing what your will be,

If done a few pairs of sa12 in 3.7net at 28hz and they sounded really nice, the didn't get the same output as a 33-37hz tune but it washer then it's seales counterpart,

That low, eh. Would a bass cd sound good that low. I was actually thinking 32ish. Got a good site I can graph on?

you had 4 p3 12s as an sq setup? sealed im guessing. why not just do a low power ported application. itll be louder, pack the punch and still have the sq you want. personally ive never had problems with sq and ported boxes together. since ive learned the ways of the port ill never go back to sealed. do some test boxes and see what you like.

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

Aeros are adjustable but can be a pain as I heard the rear piece is as large as the front so they need to be assembled within the enclosure. I was a sealed fanatic and switched to ported. It won't work with every driver but to me it seemed to make the response more natural and less constrained. The extra output helped too. You could roll your gains back a little from this gain as well.

Try a couple different tunings and see what you like the best. I can tell you to try and build the sealed a little larger than spec and it may make a big difference in low freq. extension. It did with my wall before I ported it.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Just a thought but you should try a t-line with say an ascendant audio havoc or a fi q and see if you like the results I had a t-line in my 92 civic with 2 dd 1508s and I was surprised at the sq and the pressure it could produce.

And I'm a die hard sq nut! I run arc se amps with a hybrid focal krx3 setup up front and as of right. Now I'm making the choice of switching from dd to ascendant for the chores of my low end sq needs! But t-line was my first step into "ported" enclosures and buy far my favorite! Everything before that was sealed and wow what a difference!

Archived