Sundown Audio

Soundstream Rubicon 2500 opinions

Chris Hammer

I got to agree its not the very top of the line amp. A BC2k is pretty efficient. A good buddy of mine (SMZ2) has one in his xterra on a FI/PSi hybrid 18 and it slams. Hardly ever gets hot but it's gets mildly warm from time to time. Also i believe the BC2k does like 2250w so your really not far off. The BC2k is not very power hungry either which is a positive if you don't have a good electrical system to back it up.

Not to mention the BC2k can run on voltage all the way up to 18.5v and I know very few people will ever run 16v much less 18.5v but it gives you plenty of headroom for electrical.

Both are pretty good amps as I have heard both on a single 18 set up. The BC2k is more expensive but it seems a tad more effeicent than the Rubi I am running. Just depends on how much money you want to drop on an amp and depends if you want to save that extra $100 and use it to upgrade your electrical or something.

I hope this can help,

-James

*edit*

Herd are the guts of a BC2k if you would like to compare them

221D4F71-F424-49C2-A8FC-5A5F0A9345D0-4099-000003982DF3405E.jpg

- 1997 Chevy Tahoe- Big 3 (1/0)- Dual Autocraft Batts- JVC KD-A315 HU- AQ 2200.1D- 18" AQ HDC3- Box w/ Removable Port (6ft^3 @ 36hz & 6.7ft^3 @ 42hz)- 39' 1/0 & 13' 2/0 Flex-A-Prene

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

Theres a board pic...if any of our forum experts can chime in it would be nice. I dont want to get it to be dissapointed. It will be pushing a Skar ZVX 18.3.jpg

Their QC isn't as good as the picture implies. The caps on that board are of lower voltage than nicer amps in that power class like the AQ2200D and they use greater quantities of cheaper FETs creating good output at a good price but more, weaker points of failure. Buy quality, I have learned that lesson.

Not what I wanted to hear but kinda what I expected. Im not buying anything immediately anyways so the extra 100$ difference isnt a big deal. Guess Im going with the BC2k or maybe the AQ2200.

Does anyone have any clamp tests on the AQ? I'll probably look for a used one of either amp but if it comes down to it I dont mind paying for new.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

I got to agree its not the very top of the line amp. A BC2k is pretty efficient. A good buddy of mine (SMZ2) has one in his xterra on a FI/PSi hybrid 18 and it slams. Hardly ever gets hot but it's gets mildly warm from time to time. Also i believe the BC2k does like 2250w so your really not far off. The BC2k is not very power hungry either which is a positive if you don't have a good electrical system to back it up.

Not to mention the BC2k can run on voltage all the way up to 18.5v and I know very few people will ever run 16v much less 18.5v but it gives you plenty of headroom for electrical.

Both are pretty good amps as I have heard both on a single 18 set up. The BC2k is more expensive but it seems a tad more effeicent than the Rubi I am running. Just depends on how much money you want to drop on an amp and depends if you want to save that extra $100 and use it to upgrade your electrical or something.

I hope this can help,

-James

Just something to note, that doesn't mean its fine on an 18v system, those charge at 20v, it just means it should be fine on a 16v system.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

I hope this can help,

-James

Just something to note, that doesn't mean its fine on an 18v system, those charge at 20v, it just means it should be fine on a 16v system.

\

Ill never be on a 18v system or a 16 lol. Theres no room for dual alts... Too much of a pain in my eyes..if I want more power I get a amp rated at more at 12v.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

Sold to:

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

For the cost I love the Soundstream amps I have or have had the Rubicon 1.2500/4.600/4.500, Tarantula 1.1300/4.560/1.2600, and Stealth 4.500 series amps. I can honestly say at the time of purchasing I got the Rubicon simply because I had researched around and like what I read the price point was right where I needed on my budget at the time. The only pitfall of the Rubicon (Mono) was the heat issue as I have mine under the seat in my Tahoe but even though it has gotten hot the amp has never gone into protect. It has never gotten boiling hot like some amps can and while it may not have the same parts as the Crescendo or AQ it is a stout amp for the money. On a budget I would run soundstream before AudioPipe or any other amp in that market category. You can't really compare them to AQ or Crescendo because those companies cater to a different audience. When I didn't have the extra $100 to spend the SS was a no brainer. I have noticed that my Tarantula amps do run cooler than the Rubicon. They don't get as hot in the same environment under the same stress.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

• 3 weeks later...

For the cost I love the Soundstream amps I have or have had the Rubicon 1.2500/4.600/4.500, Tarantula 1.1300/4.560/1.2600, and Stealth 4.500 series amps. I can honestly say at the time of purchasing I got the Rubicon simply because I had researched around and like what I read the price point was right where I needed on my budget at the time. The only pitfall of the Rubicon (Mono) was the heat issue as I have mine under the seat in my Tahoe but even though it has gotten hot the amp has never gone into protect. It has never gotten boiling hot like some amps can and while it may not have the same parts as the Crescendo or AQ it is a stout amp for the money. On a budget I would run soundstream before AudioPipe or any other amp in that market category. You can't really compare them to AQ or Crescendo because those companies cater to a different audience. When I didn't have the extra $100 to spend the SS was a no brainer. I have noticed that my Tarantula amps do run cooler than the Rubicon. They don't get as hot in the same environment under the same stress.

Ended up getting the Soundstream. Have the zvx in my living room and just ordered the SS today. I got such a good deal on it it was half what the BC2k is new. I couldnt pass it up. If i get at least one good year of use out of it I will feel satisfied.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

Sold to:

Ended up getting the Soundstream. Have the zvx in my living room and just ordered the SS today. I got such a good deal on it it was half what the BC2k is new. I couldnt pass it up. If i get at least one good year of use out of it I will feel satisfied.

The one in the Tahoe is well over a year old and it has never protected nor has it over heated and it is in an enclosure under my rear bench seats in a truck that was rarely driven (it is now my dad's daily). Even with it now being a daily and being used often it never heats up or gives problems. For the cost and performance I like the amp, once I learn how to clamp (or get the Amp Dyno whatever happens first lol) I will get some numbers from all of my soundstream gear and a few audiopipe items my dad has laying around.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

• 2 weeks later...

might have to jump on this one day

If your looking to buy one Im selling mine BNIB. Ill send you a PM

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

Sold to:

Archived