Second Skin Audio

Design Ideas/Suggestions for 3 RF 12's

I currently have my 3 fosgate punch HX2 12's in a small sealed enclosure and have been real happy with the SQ I get out of that setup for the past 8 years or so. Subs still work great but I want to change things up a bit and get more SPL out of them. Upgrading my amp or anything like that isn't an option at this point. I want to get some ideas for a ported enclosure geared more towards SPL. I drive an Expedition so I would like to go subs up port back. I want to do a double baffle and go for the counter-sunk look. I will probably use 3/4 MDF for the build. I don't mind doing extra work to make the box rock solid, but would prefer to use MDF for everything including any internal bracing. I listen to alot of mainstream music, mostly rap/hip hop. Every now and then some other stuff like LMFAO etc.

The amp that is pushing them is an RF bd1500.1 and I think the birthsheet said something like 1700 RMS @ 2 ohm. When I meter the box I get an even 3.0 ohms. Since them amp is rated for 750W @ 4 ohms and 1500W @ 2, I would guess that it is actually putting out 1100-1200 watts at the 3ohm load it sees. I do use the remote punch bass that gives me up to +18db @ 45hz.

My head unit is a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH

Sub Specs (RFD2212):

• Voice Coil Diameter-inch = 3.0
  • FS(HZ) = 29
  • QTS = .48
  • VAS (ft3) = 2.65
  • Xmax = .55
  • Power Handling (RMS) = 500
  • Mounting Dia. = 10 13/16
  • Mounting Depth = 5 13/16
  • Speaker Dis. (ft3) = .069
  • Vented Box Vol (ft3) = 2.0
  • Port Diameter and Length (in.) = 4x10.75

So thats the info straight from the owners manual. I would rather go with a slotted port vs. round like the manual suggests. The area I have to work with is right at 48" W x 17" H x 20" D

Thanks Everyone

Thanks man.

Yeah, a month or two ago I posted something like "look what I dusted off" under the RF category.

Right, right....

If it was me?

Id ask a member like 412CVX, ... among some others........ they can sketch, plot, and have all the goods, software and knowledge wise to get where you want, with what you have......... the help here is unreal,...

Here is a suggestion:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 34.8 Hz

Vb = 6 ft^3

External Height = 18 in

External Width = 48 in

External Depth = 22 in

Port Width = 28 in

Port Height = 3 1/2 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Top & Bottom (3 parts) = 48 x 22

Left & Right Sides = 20 1/2 x 15 3/4

Front & Back = 48 x 15 3/4

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 17 x 29 1/2

Extension = 4 x 29 1/2

Port Left Side Assembly:

17 x 3 1/2

8 1/4 x 3 1/2

Port Right Side Assembly:

17 x 3 1/2

8 1/4 x 3 1/2

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

3xhx2SUPB-2.jpg

Let me know any questions.

Have you tuned your system with an Oscope or DD-1? I would think that bass boost would cause some pretty bad clipping.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Have you tuned your system with an Oscope or DD-1? I would think that bass boost would cause some pretty bad clipping.

No I haven't. For that reason I have the gain pretty low. I would love to use a DD-1. I'll need to save up.

Yeah, that's one tool i've wanted for a while now, but always blew my money on subs and amps before i got the thing.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Archived