I was originally going to run my ground to the rear seatbelt bolt like I have with previous systems, Until I did a little research on here and decided to ground my amp (bc2k) to the frame. Since I only have 1 battery at the moment and running the - from the amp all the way to the battery - isnt an option now either. Well I got it all figured out, less than 2ft of wire from amp to frame. But my question is should I be worried about the connection getting wet? Driving thru the rain or what not, Snow even... If so what do you think I should do to protect it from getting wet? Would waterproof siliconing it be a bad idea? I can post pics on friday if necessary.

Rebuild in progress...

What about a seat bolt...like that hold your seats in. My body on my truck has a point that attached just below the rear seats to the frame...and a large bolt that the rear seats bolt to. I have used it alot and as long as I had the big 3 there was slightly any more resistance than using a dedicated run. Eventually I got a second batt and did dedicated runs..but didnt make a difference. I was only using a brz1200 though.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

op, water proofing it wouldn't hurt, but is your concern based on preventing corrosion, or are you worried about shorting something out? A short will only happen if there is continuity (a conductive connection) between power and ground. I would do it as an anti-corrosion measure, but most likely unless something is wired really wrong it doesn't pose a risk of shorting out. And from the sounds of things, that is a real solid ground, I wouldn't move it. The two above mentioned suggestions will work, but not as good as what you have going.

when I run my ground to the frame I was just going to put a lot of Dielectric grease on the connection, and reapply every month or so to prevent corrosion. Not sure what everybody else thinks of that, but I figure that would work just fine, I live in IL, so rain and snow are a big problem, more snow than rain.

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD

So far with the Ford/JBL Stock Stereo system, Alpine System coming soon.

Yea Im more worried about some kind of short or something like that. Just doesnt seem right that one end is in my amp and the other one on the frame could possibly getting wet. I could always wrap the part of the frame in something waterproof? Idk its in a good spot, In the middle of the truck. Not to close to the tires so hopefully they dont spit to much water everywhere. Guess I was just making sure that it wouldnt be a problem if the ground alone got wet

Rebuild in progress...

Yea Im more worried about some kind of short or something like that. Just doesnt seem right that one end is in my amp and the other one on the frame could possibly getting wet. I could always wrap the part of the frame in something waterproof? Idk its in a good spot, In the middle of the truck. Not to close to the tires so hopefully they dont spit to much water everywhere. Guess I was just making sure that it wouldnt be a problem if the ground alone got wet

Nah, look at it like this.... Factory grounds are often bolted to the body, or chassis of the vehicle. Those locations get wet all the time, maybe not directly but still on the same piece of metal, and that never causes a problem. The only time water could cause a problem is if water makes contact with a hot wire ( bare metal) and ground at the same time. You'll be fine.

I was originally going to run my ground to the rear seatbelt bolt like I have with previous systems, Until I did a little research on here and decided to ground my amp (bc2k) to the frame. Since I only have 1 battery at the moment and running the - from the amp all the way to the battery - isnt an option now either. Well I got it all figured out, less than 2ft of wire from amp to frame. But my question is should I be worried about the connection getting wet? Driving thru the rain or what not, Snow even... If so what do you think I should do to protect it from getting wet? Would waterproof siliconing it be a bad idea? I can post pics on friday if necessary.

I put this stuff on the 1/0 terminals between my ground stud (big bolt through cargo area floor I added in my SUV) and frame, it leaves a film that stops corrosion. Will also slowly clean away existing rust (re-application thereafter leaves much less rust), great stuff.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_25981614-P_x_x?cm_mmc=CSE-_-Google-_-VALUE3-_-VALUE4&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=25981614#utm_source=cse&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=value3&utm_content=value4

I'm gonna hate

Archived