15.3 volts, idling?

A 14v batt would have a resting voltage of 14.7-14.9v, assuming 2.1-2.13v per cell. If that's the case, the charging voltage is a bit on the low side. Charging should be 16.1-16.8v, assuming 2.3-2.4 volts per cell.

Is it a normal flooded battery? Pop the filler caps off and count the cells(number of holes). If it's 6 cells - 12v. 7 cells - 14v.

I've seen cases where an alternator or the voltage regulator starts to go out and puts out an extremely high voltage, there is a voltage regulator mounted either in the alternator itself or on the firewall that determines how much the charging system needs to produce to keep up with electrical needs. If it's an externally mounted regulator it is a hell of a lot cheaper to replace than a bad alternator.

Pretty sure I just said this in different words, but it's good that someone else is thinking along the same lines....

Ok. I'm gonna get all that done as soon as possible. That's the whole reason I posted. I don't want to damage anything, especially the electrical system.

I'm gonna get a different dmm in the morning, unhook everything and check just the battery voltage.

I doubt it has a 14 volt batt, but if it does, should I get a different batt or will I be ok with it? Like I said in an earlier post, the car has only been worked on at the dealership, so they would have been the ones to put it in there.

Make sure to get an idle reading with your new dmm. I doubt you've got a 14v battery being that you inherited it from your grandmother and she always had it serviced at the dealer, just like you said.

Also, read your battery voltage again in the morning before you start your car. I am curious to see if it drops overnight to 12.6 or so.

You could also find a friend or something and measure his car. Both on and off

Ok. Got up this morning and unhooked everything. Checked just battery voltage before starting car and it was resting at 13.8 volts. Hooked everything back up and started car. Voltage resting at 14.8 volts. Popped the caps off and it has 6 holes, therefore a 12 volt batt. Took the car to orielly autoparts and had them check batt and alt. They said alt is good and is charging at 48 amps. But they said battery is bad. How could the battery be bad if resting voltage is so high? And how do I not get much voltage drop at all even at full tilt? I'm now lost and clueless on what is going on.

no one mentioned that his 14.6v with the car off was more than likely taken immediately after he shut the car off. it would make sense that the battery is still reading above 12 if you dont let the residual charge come off.

To test the battery for rest voltage it needs to sit for 30-45min

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

The car sat all night and I checked it this morning before starting the car and it was at 13.8 volts with battery disconnected from car. After hooking everything back up and starting the car, it idled at 14.8 volts. Should the voltage be that high with the car on? My Chrysler had optima under the hood and 2 datasafe batts in the trunk and it idled at 13.8.

Now the auto store says batt is bad. If the batt was bad why would the voltage be so high on it?

Archived