Are you bad at soldering? Well this video is for you!

I decided to do this after I seen some horrific solder jobs on smaller gauge wires.

Something you may know, somethings you may not.

But a decent howto video for many novice audio guys :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPciHMlfPSg

nice tutorial.... I may have missed it but what particular soldering iron were you using in the video? And was that the one you had bought the tips for?

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

also, any ideas on how to solder or get the best connection "in-car" ... like if you cannot remove the wiring and need to extend a connection???

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Nice tutorial, i like how you show that the wire should be hot enough to melt the solder rather than just using the gun to do it. Seems like every time i solder i get a little better at it. Most i have done is replace a resistor or two or solder a couple wires together. Although i used to tinker with c.b.'s and put a variable power in one once. PCB is a pain to solder on in my opinion.

side note:

You sniff as much as i do!, You got allergies? mine are killin me.

edit:

i have advice for the guy above me but since this aint my thread i'll refrain from jacking it. lol

I keep fiber board around to solder on in cars an boats. Flexes enough to fit in odd spaces and rags of some kind.

Deff need to flux when using that 100% silver. You'll have a serious fail on your hands if you don't. Remember to keep your tips tinned

side note:

You sniff as much as i do!, You got allergies? mine are killin me.

edit:

i have advice for the guy above me but since this aint my thread i'll refrain from jacking it. lol

Side note: I think I had a cold, but Im starting to think every winter to spring transition and summer to fall transistion I seem to get a stuffed nose for a week or so and a sore throat for a couple days. So Im thinking it maybe allergies because it always seems to happen those 2 times a year.

Edit: Thread Jack away. Any info that others can learn from or make it easier for them is all good in my books. :D

I may have missed it but what particular soldering iron were you using in the video? And was that the one you had bought the tips for?

Its the one one the adjustible temp setting on my table saw, and yes its what I bought the extra tips for since most stores probably wont stock that style.

It is this one, guess it was a bit cheaper than I thought. For the price it seems decent, and the review where well too. Almost bought the next model up but didnt.

http://www.parts-exp...pped-2012-09-10

and these are the tips

http://www.parts-exp...pped-2012-09-10

Edit, this is the next model up (going by price)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=374-200

It offers a detachable soldering cord in case it gets damaged, and is ESD which is needed when your working on things with electrostatic sensitive parts and components. Much nicer station should of bought it, oh well. haha

also, any ideas on how to solder or get the best connection "in-car" ... like if you cannot remove the wiring and need to extend a connection???

You can use alligator clips to hold your wire in place while you solder. Attach them on then end of some good heavy bailing wire then you could bend it into whatever shape you need to hold the wire in place so your hands are free to work.

I've seen people put them in a vice to do the same but that wouldn't be practical in a cars tight spaces.

Good stuff, something I used in the USAF and I have one at home is one of these.

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/helpinghandssolderingaid-1.aspx

OMG such a great tool, especially if you are working with very thin wire, also I have two pairs of hemostats to hold and heatsink wire to speed up the process a little.

Only thing I do a little different than what was shown here in this great video is I use Flux on all my soldered connections I make, then after the connection is made I clean it off with alcohol, just makes sure that solder is soaked in nice into the wire.

Retired from SPL again....

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 Champion 151.8db

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 World Record Holder

I like the tutorial. I have a question, it might be kind of dumb. What is the sponge under the holder on the iron for?

2003 Chevy Blazerkenwood headunit4 ga. kicker wiringAQ1200D amp2 12" DC LVL 3'sStinger Volt MeterMy Build LogBlazer is no longer. Totaled 02/14/2012drew.png

no. this is for converting dc to ac. useful if you want to run a blender inside your car.

Archived