Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Odd Shaped Sub Enclosure for 92 Camaro


Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm looking to build an enclosure for my 92 Camaro. The Camaro has a "well" in the rear of the vehicle that I need the enclosure to fit in. I'm looking for some advice as to how to design/build the enclosure for such an odd shaped "well". I'm also looking for recommendations for a sub(s) that fit my goal. Here's what I'm looking for:

  • I'm NOT looking for pure SPL and don't plan on "metering" it, but want it slam pretty hard.
  • I'd like a wide frequency range, and not a one note wonder
  • I'm planning on buying a Rockford T1500-bdcp or T2500-bdcp depending on which sub(s) I end up going with
  • I don't mind using one or two subs, I'm looking for recommendations
  • I like hitting fairly low, but also play music like Metallica that has punchy bass
  • I'd pay between $500 and $1000 for the sub(s)
  • I've measured the approximate area of the "well", which totals 4.0 cubic feet, but there's a lot of rounded corners that are hard to account for.
  • Should I attempt a hybrid fiberglass/MDF enclosure to maximize the useful area of the well? I've seen people build enclosures for these third/fourth generation Camaros/Firebirds purely from wood, but they look pretty tedious due to all of the different curves and angles needed.
  • I was planning on going sealed, since it would be a safer route due to the complexity of the box, but am open to going ported if people don't think it will be too difficult to design and build for the odd shape. I notice there seems to be a lot more choice in subs that require porting
  • I was originally looking to go with a single RE Audio XXX 12 sealed, but from reading information online, people seem to say it hits low, but loses out on the higher bass notes. It also states on RE Audio's website that going sealed will significantly lower the output between 30 & 80hz.

Here's a picture of the "well" area:

IMG_20120929_171300.jpg

Here's what the outside looks like:

P1020701.jpg

THIS PICTURE IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY, This is someone else's build that I found online, but I wanted to show as an example of what I've seen done:

box.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Mike

Posted

i say fuck the system and make it drift. extreme weight reduction, a little more powah, and some tuning. vroom vroom

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Shell of box / baffle built by me

Port / sealing the box by John Hone

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177428-97jettas-sql-trunk-wall-loudest-99-buick-century-custom-with-a-one-legged-owner/

price has no influence on how something sounds

I told him to move the fucking port.

they see me hoppin they stoppin they can't believe im so white and dirty

It looks like you got so drunk, that someone came up and stole your leg.

Posted

Glass that bitch, this makes me miss my 91, where is your hood? I would go ported with 2 10's or 12's you could also go with a single beefy 12 and get pretty good sound out of it. the box will be easy to build just make it thick and brace it.

CARS

14 Sierra crew cab daily, Small build coming one of these days

69 C-10 fleetside in many pieces, won't be done till the end of time

Last car '12 Focus with build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165619-2012-focus-btl-15-crescendo-sundown-audio-control/

Posted

personally I wouldn't waste the materials/time glassing that, its basically a rectangle with 2 rounded corners. Id do an all MDF box with 6 sides; back, sides, then make the front a little smaller and angle 2 pieces to fit the rounded corners. Not necessary, only if you really wanted to optimize airspace. Id also go ported but not with REs. There are a ton of options subs-wise look into sundown, DC, incriminator, AA, list goes on.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Posted

Those cars get LOUD regardless of number of subs. If you can realistically get 3 cubes after displacements, that would be fine for 2 12s. Give us some dimensions and I would be happy to take a crack at a box design for you. F-bodies are easy to get loud, PLUS that year has a readily available amount of aftermarket HO alternators to choose from if you want the power.

Sub up port up will murder in that car(not like you have any other options for configuration). I'd pick a tune around 32-35 and that will easily take care of your rock music. Get an amp that control the mechanics of the sub you choose, AND make sure we get a well designed AND built enclosure, and that car will blow your mind how loud it gets.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

At this point in your planning process, brands don't even have to come into play. Design, design, design FIRST, then figure out which sub will suit your needs. A decent sub can sound AMAZING in the right enclosure. A GREAT sub can sound like shit in the wrong enclosure.

What are you planning in doing for your soundstage? A set of components, 2 sets? Kick panels? A-pillars? What kind of head unit do you plan on running? What type of electrical are you willing to install? Have you done the Big3 or do you plan on doing it?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

Wow, thanks for the quick reply's. I appreciate the recommendations so far. I fixed one of the images in my original post showing an example of another box build I found online.

What are you planning in doing for your soundstage? A set of components, 2 sets? Kick panels? A-pillars? What kind of head unit do you plan on running? What type of electrical are you willing to install? Have you done the Big3 or do you plan on doing it?

I'm running Hertz HSK 165XL's in the kicks and in the rear. They sound awesome. They're powered off a Rockford T600-4, For the head unit, I'm running an Alpine iDA-305S and a Clarion EQ. I'm planning on getting a Mechman alternator in the 300amp range. I already have Stinger HPM 1/0, and plan on doing the big 3. I've also installed 80sqft of Damplifier Pro and 90sqft of Luxury Liner Pro.

Here's some pictures of what I've done so far:

headunit.jpg

kicks1.jpgkicks2.jpg

These are normally covered by the sail panel.

rear.jpg

This picture was taken before the SecondSkin installation

2011-09-11_15-29-10_961.jpg

Second Skin Stuff

secondskin.jpg

stinger.jpg

where is your hood?

Ahhh, you noticed that. I just got the car back from being painted and the guy is finishing up the hood.

Posted

Ohh, I wasn't realizing the exterior pic you showed was YOURS! It's a great looking car for sure and looks clean. What wheels are those, they remind or HREs, I'm on mobile and can't see every little detail.

Your build is going very well I must say. I'm digging how sleek the HU and EQ fit into that location. Also, are you running the IROC wing? I don't remember that one coming on the Z28s

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

Geez ... I miss my 85 Camaro with the pair of Kicker Comp 12s !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 5337 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...