Sundown Audio

Audiopipe AP-15001D Tested for RMS Power Output

WillistonAudioLabs

I couldn't resist getting my hands on one of these AP-15001D's to test out the 1500w claim. I've been around car audio since the late 80's and come from the days when you paid several dollars per watt, while this amp promises 10c per watt!

Those who don't like watching videos, here's my results at 14v:

4 ohms = 504w

2 ohms = 844w

1 ohm = 1115w

I have a complex test bench fitted with wirewound resistors for the ohm loads, (2) 100A 13.8v power supplies "strapped" (showing 14v), SMD DD-1 for 1% distortion measurement, Velleman HPS50 o'scope for visual display of waveform and wattage measurement (or Volts RMS at 1 ohm), Klein Tools CL2000 True RMS Clamp Meter for measuring DC Amperage pull from amp, Fluke 85 III multimeter for verifying ohm loads, 40Hz test tone from DD-1 disc, Yamaha RX-V670 receiver as pre-amp (has large analog volume knob for precise adjustments) and iPod Nano 1st gen with Wolfsen audio chip and DD-1 test tone loaded in Apple lossless format.

I've seen many people "clamp" test this amp and get 1500w or more. Truth is, if you are using a speaker as the load, you must take into account phasing. If you don't know what I'm talking about,

, former Rockford Fosgate engineer and the one who developed the infamous T15kW amp.

As I mention in the video, I only tested this amp on the bench with resistors, didn't give it a loaded down subwoofer test. I'll do this in the future and also test 1/2 ohm as many are telling me this amp can handle it. We'll see...

See the

or embedded below:

See my videos on YouTube http://www.willistonaudio.com  Many tests and demos of OLD and NEW SCHOOL car audio gear!

See cool pics on Instagram @oldschoolstereo

But but but

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

probably right kranny lol.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

But all the internet people say its over 1500w. ... . .

on another note too bad you cant test at 16v...it says 16v on the front cover..do they expect people who are cheaping out on an amp to have an dedicated 14v system??

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

But all the internet people say its over 1500w. ... . .

on another note too bad you cant test at 16v...it says 16v on the front cover..do they expect people who are cheaping out on an amp to have an dedicated 14v system??

I know not everyone has time to watch a 10+ min video, but I did address the 16v rating. I got 1274w estimate using my efficiency at 1ohm and substituted 16v for 14v. Again, this represents a resistive load on the amp and similar to testing methods performed by the Car Audio magazines since the late 80's

See my videos on YouTube http://www.willistonaudio.com  Many tests and demos of OLD and NEW SCHOOL car audio gear!

See cool pics on Instagram @oldschoolstereo

basically with the resistor it was best case scenario is whta you are saying.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived