No D3400 for me :(

So I was piecing everything together for my upcoming build. I figured I would replace the stock battery with the D3400. I assumed I could squeeze it in there. But that isn't going to be the case.

1012121644.jpg

Gotta love the stock location. chrysler :angry22:

1012121645.jpg

The length was the only thing screwing me over. Tray length was 9". D3400 is 10.24".

1012121703.jpg

Even if I was to mod the stock tray, or even make a new one the battery would be pushing out my bumper by .5" because of the metal on the right in the picture.

1012121658.jpg

You can see here the tray is angled. The battery would actually fit if it was the same distance where the plastic spacer was closest to me. But as it goes closer to the front of the car it actually decreases a whole inch.

1012121706.jpg

I figured I would check the resting voltage. Looks to be about 12.8ish. That made me feel better after finding out the bad news.

1012121707.jpg

So currently it looks like I'll be putting in a D1200. It hurt though considering for $40 more I would of had the D3400 :(

I briefly thought about putting a D3100 in the trunk. But I thought I read somewhere that you can't run an AGM and a lead acid battery together. Nothing is set in stone yet though.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

If you really want it that bad, I'd just take the stock battery out, then get the D3400 and put it in your trunk or wherever it would fit. Use that as your starter, etc.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

no room in the trunk?

Plenty. I would build a tray for it down next to spare tire.

If you really want it that bad, I'd just take the stock battery out, then get the D3400 and put it in your trunk or wherever it would fit. Use that as your starter, etc.

So I am correct about not being able to run the two types together? If I were to throw a battery in the trunk it'd be the D3100 just because space isn't an issue then. I'm assuming it'd be a pain to try and connect all the wires up front then, but I am just thowing ideas around for right now.

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Yeah don't run wet cell and AGM together. If you're going to run an XS battery. You're gonna have to toss your current battery either way, no matter what size your new battery is. So what I'd personally do is just go all out and get the biggest one for your budget and throw it in the trunk.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Yeah don't run wet cell and AGM together. If you're going to run an XS battery. You're gonna have to toss your current battery either way, no matter what size your new battery is. So what I'd personally do is just go all out and get the biggest one for your budget and throw it in the trunk.

Good point. I just think it would be a pain in the dick to try and do 2 runs of 1/0 OFC (+&-) back to the battery and try and configure it up front where the stock battery used to be, not to mention cost a bit more aswell since I would normally have 1 run going back

Its not that hard. Don't overthink it. Its like relocating your current battery to the rear, but replacing it with a bigger, better one. You have to run extra 1/0 either way, so......

The big 3 is the only issue that I could see. So the + run from trunk goes up to the two positive wires that were connected to stock battery. The two red wires are the alt+ and other one goes to fuse box. So would I just make another run from alt to that 3, now 4 wire junction? Now would I just ground that battery in the back or go ground it to where it was grounded up front?

Archived