Sundown Audio

Mounting amplifiers to subwoofer boxes?

AmmoJammo

has anyone actually seen an amplifier damaged by vibration? any pictures?

Yeah, my first amp was damaged from vibration. It was on a shitty prefab though that I believe came from some crack head. The divider between the 2 chambers busted loose and caused the vibration. A capacitor came off the board.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

No matter where you mount your amp, you will get slight vibration. Your entire vehicle vibrates slightly as you are driving down the road and to a lesser degree just from the engine running while parked. If your box vibrates more than that, it isn't built right.

Try the dime test. If you have a smooth, flat, horizontal surface on your box, put the dime on it and play the music at full tilt. The dime shouldn't move. If it scoots a little, that's ok. If it bounces, that's really bad. Now put the dime on that same surface with the stereo off and drive down the road. Obviously, when making turns the dime might move, but if that dime moves more while driving down a perfectly straight, average road, then you see that your car itself causes more vibration than the box. And that mounting the amp anywhere in a moving vehicle is going to give you vibration over the slight amount a well built box will create.

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet

Custom carbon fiber sub box

EVERYTHING else is stock, for now

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s

146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ

No matter where you mount your amp, you will get slight vibration. Your entire vehicle vibrates slightly as you are driving down the road and to a lesser degree just from the engine running while parked. If your box vibrates more than that, it isn't built right.

Try the dime test. If you have a smooth, flat, horizontal surface on your box, put the dime on it and play the music at full tilt. The dime shouldn't move. If it scoots a little, that's ok. If it bounces, that's really bad. Now put the dime on that same surface with the stereo off and drive down the road. Obviously, when making turns the dime might move, but if that dime moves more while driving down a perfectly straight, average road, then you see that your car itself causes more vibration than the box. And that mounting the amp anywhere in a moving vehicle is going to give you vibration over the slight amount a well built box will create.

This x99999999999999

Idk what part of the car you guys are mounting your amps to that doesnt vibrate but uhh...yeah. Your box should be sturdy and solid and should NOT FLEX at all.

If you think the head trick works, put your head against ANY surface in the car while someone else drives and see if you want your amp to be there...lawl.

My opti did. Ill post pics when I get off work

It was mounted on the box, the new amps are going inbetween the seats

IMG_20120928_145045.jpg

lol thats how the t4000 looked except there was alot of burn marks all over the board

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

I think you guys should get your cars suspension systems looked at if its vibrating that badly. Yeah of course it will vibrate some but its completely different than vibrations from bass. No way should regular driving cause more vibration.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

I think you guys should get your cars suspension systems looked at if its vibrating that badly. Yeah of course it will vibrate some but its completely different than vibrations from bass. No way should regular driving cause more vibration.

Should've said this, BUT, I meant while the system is playing...obviously since there in an amp being installed there will be vibrations from bass.

My windshield moves, my seats move, my steering wheel moves...and I don't have a very loud system...so it's hard for me to believe that there's some special spot in the car that will be safe from vibrations.

EDIT: I mean, what are his alternatives? Build an amp rack that's bolted to the box? Or bolted to the frame? Mount them under a seat or on a piece of wood in a cargo area? None of these seem sound vibration proof...

DOUBLE EDIT: And my amp is not mounted to my box either lol, but if I had to I would definitely at least use rubber feet and maybe and extra piece of MDF under the amp (Amp>rubber feet>mounted to mdf>mounted to box) just for piece of mind.

The first system I had was a Hifonics amp mounted to some crappy prefab.

Worst mistake I've made, amp completely died due to the vibrations.

At least it was cheap gear.

Build yourself an amp-rack sir!

but you've just said it was a crappy prefab box :P

I've seen damage in person once, capacitor(s) snapped off the board...

snapped caps shouldn't cause anything else in the amp to fail, the amp will still run fine with a few of the powersupply capacitors missing. It's quite possible the caps fell off, and you simply didn't find it till the fets failed for other reasons ;)

But I had some clown trying to tell me the damage to my Z1 was caused by vibration as a result of being mounted to a sub box...

all the powersupply fets were blown...

I have no idea how someone with an ounce of a clue could believe this was caused by vibration...

Archived