Second Skin Audio

Enclosure Opinions?

REVOofRustler

Hey guys! I'm gonna be building a box for a buddy of mine and was wondering if I could get some opinions on my design. He isn't sure right now if he wants to go with a 12 or a 15 (It will probably be a Sundown E series or a Skar IVX). I believe he's going to be getting a Rockford Prime 600. It's a 5 channel, and the Subwoofer channel is rated for 300 watts at 2 ohms. It's going in his Pathfinder, so I figured sub up/port back would work well. I had enough time tonight to throw together a box for a 12. I'll probably try to get a design up tomorrow for a 15. Onto the specs/pics!

Box for 12

2.2 cubes

Tuned to 33 hertz

Sub up/Port back

Double Baffle

Adams12Torres_zps70237157.png

Adams12complete_zpsace10407.png

Adams12openside_zps4afe0fc3.png

So what do you guys think?

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

maybe change dimensions a little bit so that it's a 3 common wall port with the port on the bottom still? or is there something bad about the port being on the bottom?

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

If you want to do it like that just place the sub as far from the internal end of the port as you can, also you can do a simpler thing like this:

SUPB12-2.jpg

It would be simpler that way, but I just love the looks of having a centered port when it's sub up/port back. Do you think there would be loading issues with how I have the port? And I'm also making sure the sub will not be mounted over the port at all.

maybe change dimensions a little bit so that it's a 3 common wall port with the port on the bottom still? or is there something bad about the port being on the bottom?

There's nothing bad that I've heard of haha. I did try it with the port going from wall to the other, and for there to be adequate port area it would end up being like a 1" by 20.5" port and I just thought that looked kinda funny.

Anyways, I found some time tonight to throw together a design for a 15. I believe at this point that he's leaning towards the Sundown E series. I still don't really know if he wants to go with a 12 or a 15.

Adams15Torres_zps6962a205.png

I did try to place the sub further away from the port on this box.

Adams15Complete_zps934c674c.png

Adams15MissingSide_zpsb365eefe.png

Any opinions/advice?

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

Well say you go for the Sundown E15, since you are underpowering the sub, you would increase efficiency by not going to the tight side of the net volume range, the other thing is that port area is above what's needed, 38-40 square inches is about right at the 33Hz tuning. Lastly your drawing shows a port that apparently widens after the turn.

yeah i was gonna ask about that. gets wider after the turns?? and also i know if you stretched it from end to end it'd be like 1" tall but i was just saying adjust your box dim so that it's not so wide so the port could be about the same size

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

If you want to do it like that just place the sub as far from the internal end of the port as you can, also you can do a simpler thing like this:

SUPB12-2.jpg

It would be simpler that way, but I just love the looks of having a centered port when it's sub up/port back. Do you think there would be loading issues with how I have the port? And I'm also making sure the sub will not be mounted over the port at all.

There's nothing bad that I've heard of haha. I did try it with the port going from wall to the other, and for there to be adequate port area it would end up being like a 1" by 20.5" port and I just thought that looked kinda funny.

Anyways, I found some time tonight to throw together a design for a 15. I believe at this point that he's leaning towards the Sundown E series. I still don't really know if he wants to go with a 12 or a 15.

Adams15Torres_zps6962a205.png

I did try to place the sub further away from the port on this box.

Adams15Complete_zps934c674c.png

Adams15MissingSide_zpsb365eefe.png

Any opinions/advice?

take this picture ^^^ (last pic), turn the box to where the side of the box that is open to see the inside is on top. undo the double baffle and cut out for the sub and move it to the side that is open to see the inside of the box.

the box would stay the same with all measurements and it would still be sub up port back but the sub would be on a different side of the box. then you could move the sub all the way to the corner oppisite of the port opening inside the box.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

If I were to do something like that, Id probabaly just make a new design with 3 common port walls.

And as for the port changing sizes, thats the result of a problem in my math and not checking everything over. Haha

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

you know i actually kind of like the 1 common wall port look. if there's no problem with it other then people saying it's more complicated then need be and they'd just do a 3 common wall port for sake of being easier. then i'd do it!

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

LE BUILD LOG!!!

I think it really has more to do with loading. The sub is pretty close to the port opening, and is practically firing into the port. If there's not enough space between the port and the sub then the sub could bottom out really easily.

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

Archived