Second Skin Audio

Ugh, prefabs...

iceman1575

I know, everyone hates prefabs, but it's easier in my situation. There's a place who sells prefabs for extended cab Chevrolet pickups, and I talked with the owner, who can get me a prefab box without the downfire cutouts, 3/4" MDF, that will fit perfectly under the seat, just like this one but slightly bigger (around 1 cube per side) for about that price. Would it be worth it versus trying to build one? (It's a PITA to try and build a nice one under there). These would be ported for 4 SA8's on around 1.5-2kw.

POTATO!

In my opinion you take a lot more pride in something you build yourself, but on the other hand I see your point. What would it be tuned to?

2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 W/ 6 Speed

Build Log

2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor 6.2

Build Log

YouTube

In my opinion you take a lot more pride in something you build yourself, but on the other hand I see your point. What would it be tuned to?

Last box I built was tuned around 38Hz (the recommended tuning for those IIRC), it's still in and sounds great, but the box sticks out way too far, and I want something that looks nice. I don't have the tools to make really nice cuts to make a perfect fitting box. You can see how the box sticks out in this view...

535631_10151535876680512_823523976_n.jpg

Makes for a really cramped ride for anyone riding with me...

POTATO!

I would say go with the pre-fab. As long as you know its good quality I don't see any reason why not.

It'd be better built than what I would be able to make. I will definitely be bracing the box though.

POTATO!

I'm glad I logged in to see this thread. I don't understand everyone's hate for prefabs. (sorry OP, I may be going off on a little rant here). Yes, there are a lot of shitty prefabs out there but that doesn't mean they all are. I used a couple of Audio Enhancers prefabs on my last build and those boxes were incredibly sturdy and pounded pretty good. My current build is using 2 prefabs from Atrend and they are also very very good. Obviously if you are running 4000 rms to some bulky 12's or 15's, it might be time to build your own box. I've read about prefab's falling apart and what not though mine are handling a RF T1 at 1300 rms just fine. Just gotta do your research and buy from a reputable company. Read reviews, check box specs to make sure they match closely to your sub and be sure to find boxes with at least 3/4 inch mdf. Not everyone has access to tools, the money to buy them, or the time to build their box.

OP, I say go for it.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

Prefabs get a bad rap cause of the shape and not the construction, and people prefer to have a lower tuning than what the prefab is made to which is usually in the low 40's.

Yea, I forgot to mention that in my post. I will say, prefab's definitely seem to have a bit of a higher tuning than a lot of people like. My Atrend boxes are tuned to 38 hz which isn't too bad though I listen to dubstep so it's perfect.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

Whats wrong with the box thats in there? If your wanting it smaller, you realize you have 4 8's right? Maybe ditch one or two, dont starve them for air!

98' dodge ram

140A alt

Big 3

XS D2700

JVC kd-r310

Rockford T500-1BDCP

2 Sundown E12 Ported 4cubes 35hz

Rockford P400-4

2 Infinity reference 3way 6x9

2 Polk DB 5 1/4

2x layer dynamat all doors

Archived