6.5 Midrange woofer

djunified

Ok guys heres the dillemma.

Currently i have a set of Rockford Fosgate Prime 6.5 components up front in my '99 Sable. I bought these in an attempt to achieve better midbass over my old speakers which were JBL grand touring 6x8's. The new RF's are a little bit better, but they still sound like theyre bottoming out at high volumes. Its nowhere near what i am trying to match which is a lancer with the oem RF-enhanced system. My friend has that and the midbass from the doors is just incredible!

I have only been in the car audio scene for about a year, so i am still learning. I dont know if it is the speakers, the amp, door dynamics, imaging, or just my expectations being too high. My amplifier is a cheap dual xpa series amp, and i have achieved the same results with other amps i have experimented with. All of my gains are set with an oscope, and the crossover is set to 80 hz.

After doing much research, i am debating whether to buy some dedicated midbass woofers like some punch 6.5's, or any from other brands. Either way, they all look the same featuring a large magnet, bigger tinsel leads, and some having a baffle around the woofer to act like an enclosure. To me, it seems like this would be the way to go rather than try to push bass out of a cheap prime speaker

Anybodys input or a brief explanation would be helpful.

Thanks

Your JBL's were probably better than the Primes. lol The Primes are really basic. Did you putting sound deadening materials on the doors?

Mids/Highs: stock Bang & Olufsen

Lows: Image Dynamics IDMax 12v.3

Power: Sony Xplod XM-D9001GTR:Knukonceptz 4 gauge

Box: 1.75 cu/ft Sealed

Past: Pioneer Premier TS-W1207 (2)/ Rockford Fosgate P210/ Image Dynamics ID10V.3/ Infinity Reference 311A/ Audiopipe AP-18001D

Yes i have put some fat mat on the front door panels on both the outer and inner panels. It seems as if the sound deadening only helps with reducing road noise rather than improve bass response, so in that case, ill probably buy some cadence midbass woofers. They look beefy enough to get the job done, and if i am satisfied, ill probably get some for the rear doors as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i just installed some different mids, this time they're 6 3/4" precision power speakers with an oversized magnet. I was expecting good bass from these things, but I guess i got what I paid for since they were really cheap. Oh well I didn't lose that much so its back to the drawing board. The speakers i'm eyeballing now are a nice set of 6 3/4" Rockford punch components that look that could get the job done. You guys tell me up straight if you think its the speakers that are the problem, cause I know that door dynamics play a big role in midbass production. But that should be solved already with the amount of dynamat that i slapped on there when i was installing the previous rockford primes.

I really want punchy midbass like all my friends systems like the new fender audio system in one of my friends 2012 jetta, or even the rockford fosgate system in mitsubishi. Those systems have incredible midbass compared to mine, which sounds like a 1930's phonograph :(. I always make jokes to them saying i will trade some of my trunk bass (which absolutely kills theirs ;P) for some of their door bass.

Thanks for your input :)

Archived