Router noob! I need help!

Hopefully a Jasper jig will fit your Blue Hawk router.

Here are their compatability pages:

http://www.jaspertools.com/pdf/Circle_Guide_Compatibility.pdf

http://www.jaspertools.com/pdf/Circle_Guide_Layouts.pdf

You can always make a circle jig if you have to.

'09 Sierra Ext Cab - under construction

(1) RF T2500-1 -running- (4) RF T1 12's

(1) RF T1000-4 -running- (2) RF T1652-S

Stock alt / battery -plus- (1) DC Power 230a & (2) Kinetik 1800

Buncha OFC Knu

Buncha Second Skin

Kenwood DDX814 - Alpine Imprint - RF 360.3

Set the router up on the table and it worked great to round the corners! Gonna put in the order for the jasper jig and get this hole cut! What router bit should I look into getting for cutting the hole? The router uses 1/4" shank and the front will be double baffled with 3/4" mdf so the cut will be 1.5" deep

use a downspiral bit......an up-spiral will work, but it will blow the dust up at you. make several passes with it going a little deeper each pass until the hole is cut all the way through.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

On the cheap you can get a regular 1/4" straight flute bit. Or the better bit would be a solid carbide spiral bit.

I went with the spiral upcut since it pulls the router and workpiece together. Although downcut leaves a cleaner top edge (not really an issue).

Buncha OFC Knu

Buncha Second Skin

The router comes with a dust collecting attachment so I think I'm going to go with the spiral up cut. I found a porter cable up cut for $11.50 shipped on eBay. Now onto the next issue... When I start the cut do I need to drill a hole for the router bit to enter the wood or will the router bit act as a drill but and go into the wood on its own? Also I'm not sure where the plunge comes into effect but how do you get the bit to lower past the base of the router to make the 1.5" cut? Idk if I just don't have a grasp of how the plunge helps as opposed to having a fixed base or what but I'm not understanding how to lower the bit enough to make the cut

no hole needed. it will cut into the wood itself.

As for the plunge part, just release the plunge lock and push the motor downward. you will be able to change the blade depth very easily and on the fly as you are cutting your hole without having to turn a depth ring to change settings.

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

You're going to be lowering and raising the router for each hole.

The plunge action makes it easy. You will start the motor with the bit raised and then "plunge" into the wood.

When the hole is done, release the lever, raise the router, and shut it off.

How long is the Porter Cable bit? You won't be able to insert it all the way into the collet and have it bottom out. The bit won't be long enough.

You're just going to have to see with the router lowered all the way - how much bit hangs below the Jasper surface...

If you can't get 1 1/2" you'll have to either cut from both sides before putting the double baffle onto the box, or cut holes into the seperate baffles. You can hold/clamp both baffles together and drill the centering holes through both. Or just measure very carefully for each center and they should line up pretty good. Drill as square to the wood as possible.

Buncha OFC Knu

Buncha Second Skin

Archived