Chevy V8 basic MPG improvements?

Finding a $2000 4cyl car that get 30mpg... vs..... Spending 2000 in add ons to get less then 20mpg.

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

a true can be done at most Dyno shops. Hand tuners a pretty generic. But make sure you have done all of you intake and exhaust mods first. Depending on you current gearing, 3:73's or 4:11's would help a little also.

But like others have said. you want better gas milage get a 6 or 4 cylinder beater. The amount of money you can spend trying to gain 1-3mpg may not be worth it in the long run.

• 4 weeks later...

I have gained 2mpg city (nothing highway) running premium gas in my 4.3 v6 (which is a Chevy 350 minus 2 cylinders). I don't have to get on the gas as much to accelerate with premium in the tank and my engine sounds better. I didn't notice the improvement until 2 tanks later when the ECU finally adjusted.

I'll have to give Premium a go then, see if I notice a difference. I actually just started a new job hauling parts for the railroad, so I'll be doing a lot more highway driving now, and they're paying decent (I'm covering gas and having money to spare) but any little bit will help. I don't think Premium will be worth it in the long run versus the price, but we'll see...I do plan on CAI first after rebuilding my transmission (hard time shifting in and out of 2nd gear), then whatever else to do to the exhaust. I already have a Flowmaster Outlaw system on it (I believe that is what the previous owner had put on) so I don't know if I should find a different exhaust or not...

POTATO!

• 2 weeks later...

well if you wanna keep your v8, then the mods you could do are new ECU/chip for economy, better intake (be careful of some CAI units, they dont work as advertised, bringing in hot air etc), exhaust (mandrel bent free'er flowing and mufflers), K&N filter, tuneup, take your tailgate off (free), start removing excess material to lighten vehicle (free also), increase compression ratio ($$$$), electric fan, better ignition setup (mallory).

Some of these can be costly, some cheap,some free. I would recommend first either a good CAI, or just the K&N with stock intake, electric fan, and while doing this stuff, start lightening your truck. Maybe theres some things you dont use/need. Also your tailgate creates drag, so keeping it down or taking it off will help.

The V8 engine can be made also to be pretty efficient for a light footed driver. That takes a better ignition and ecu, higher compression ratio like 10:1, lightened and balanced, and fuel feed (injection is better than carbs). If you're getting like 14-15 hiway now, you could see 18 or so after all this stuff. But any way you slice it, its a big vehicle with a big front end, with a big engine. Might be cheaper to get a small 4 cyl car for commuting/daily driving. Then, you;ll have two cars with audio systems....

well if you wanna keep your v8, then the mods you could do are new ECU/chip for economy, better intake (be careful of some CAI units, they dont work as advertised, bringing in hot air etc), exhaust (mandrel bent free'er flowing and mufflers), K&N filter, tuneup, take your tailgate off (free), start removing excess material to lighten vehicle (free also), increase compression ratio ($$$$), electric fan, better ignition setup (mallory).

Some of these can be costly, some cheap,some free. I would recommend first either a good CAI, or just the K&N with stock intake, electric fan, and while doing this stuff, start lightening your truck. Maybe theres some things you dont use/need. Also your tailgate creates drag, so keeping it down or taking it off will help.

The V8 engine can be made also to be pretty efficient for a light footed driver. That takes a better ignition and ecu, higher compression ratio like 10:1, lightened and balanced, and fuel feed (injection is better than carbs). If you're getting like 14-15 hiway now, you could see 18 or so after all this stuff. But any way you slice it, its a big vehicle with a big front end, with a big engine. Might be cheaper to get a small 4 cyl car for commuting/daily driving. Then, you;ll have two cars with audio systems....

Problem is I can't afford two vehicles at the moment...I'm stuck with the truck for now. I do have a soft cover on the bed, but I don't think that really affects anything. I'm going to do CAI, tuneup, and probably exhaust next. Just what I can do.

POTATO!

Archived