Second Skin Audio

Baffle placement help please!

IKnowImLost224

Making a box for my 12" eminent audio 2k. First off just want to say eminent audio is a local company and this 2k is sick! It's in a prefab box right now and sounds great! As far as sq and overall loudness this is probably one of the best woofers I've had, even over my re xxx! Anyways back to my question... I know sub placement on the baffle affects the overall sound. I'm making this box with a normal slot port. Should I position the sub away from the internal port opening, with the internal port opening, or in the middle?

i THINK...as in i am not sure, but maybe it will spark some discussion for you...

but I think you would want the sub as far away from the internal opening of the port as possible. Don't think it effects sound but it would be less likely to unload on you.

Again, take it with a tiny minuscule grain of salt, I am not sure why I even think this.

maybe someone will confirm or tell me how dumb my thinking is :)

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

ive always been told its best to keep it as far away from the port opening as possible for unloading and port noise issues.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

So I ended up building the box with these specs:

Outer Dimensions (H x W x D) 16 x 19 x 22

Port dimensions 14.5 x 2 x 33

Net volume 1.96 ft^3

Gross volume 3.01 ft^3

Port volume 1.05 ft^3

Port area 29 in^2

Port area per ft 14.8 in^2

Port ratio 1:7.25

Box tuning 32.62

This is for a eminent audio 12" 2k which is a local Michigan based company. When I had it in a prefab box it pounded! The box I made is bigger in overall size but isn't nearly as loud. I bought a router and rounded the edges on the "L" port but didnt 45 the corners because I don't have access to a table saw. I placed the sub away from the internal port opening as well. The only thing I could possibly think of is that since the box is deeper its putting the sub closer to the trunk, whereas with the prefab it wasn't as deep so the sub had more space between the trunk lid and the box. Idk what I did wrong!

The owner recommended smaller box size, he said 1.5-2 cu ft

the port needs to be atleast 2" away from anything to allow it to breath. if i was you i would even try to make sure the sub and port have a good 4" between them and anything else.

what was the prefab box tuning? a lower tuning could do it to. shorten up the port some if you can to raise the tuning.

every sub will react differently in different boxes. its a build and test thing to find the right box. i had 2 rockford t2 12 in a prefab box tuned to 38hz do a 146.6 at 51hz on a audio control meter and then built a box tuned to 43 hz and did a 146 at 46hz.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

There is much more than 4" between port and sub so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but the output just doesn't seem there. As far as the prefab tuning I have no idea cause it came with a type r I used to have but I know it was tuned higher. I tried tuning mine lower to get the lower notes lol

Archived