Skrilla Posted November 19, 2012 Report Posted November 19, 2012 This will be for my car because I per-ordered two sets of Sundown comps for my truck. So, I've never ran, or even herd 3-way comps before. I was thinking on running two sets in my car. I will be glassing my doors. I won't be going very expensive on them. Here are two sets I am looking at: http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8959-cl-6e32-cdt-audio-3-way-631-component-system.aspx http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9626-esk-163l-hertz-65-3-way-component-system.aspx I want to know if it would be worth running these 3-ways (or any other around the same price) over some 2-ways. I really would like to spend around $600, but I'll go no higher than $700. I left out the Focal 3-ways in the same price range, because I herd the tweeters were super bright and harsh, and I prefer more of a smooth sounding tweeter. So, Would running any of these 3-ways be a better option for a mixture of SQ and SPL, or should I consider three sets of 2-way comps, or even two sets of higher-end comps. Again, I want to keep it under $700. If anybody has herd or had any experience with these, please chime in. Opinions and suggestions welcomed. 2 HDC3 18's AQ2200D
BeAlLsTaR13 Posted November 19, 2012 Report Posted November 19, 2012 Hertz Team Sundown Audio**CURRENT** -- 2012 Scion tC Build Click Here **OLD** -- 2002 Pontiac Grand AM Build Click Herecheck them out, slap me a comment2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE 2.2l 4 cylinder ecotec.-------------------------------------------------------------------Head Unit - Alpine CDA-9887Subs - 2x Z 12 v.2s - v.3 + NS Soft partsAmplifier - Sundown Audio SAZ-3500DEnclosure - 3.33 Cubes tuned to 34.66hzFront Stage - JBL P660c 6.5" ComponentsRear Deck - Powerbass 4xl 6.5" Mid-RangeFront Stage Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAX-100.4DWires - Kicker Hyperflex 1/0, KnuKonceptz 1/0, Knu 4 and 8 Gauge, Kicker RCAsElectrical - 275 AMP DC Power H/O Alternator, XS Power S3400, XS Power D2700Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BeAILsTaR13-------------------------------------------------------------------
Watch the bass Posted November 19, 2012 Report Posted November 19, 2012 For the money you can get 5 of those http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153608-rockford-component-speakers/ "in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley
Robert8252 Posted November 19, 2012 Report Posted November 19, 2012 All depends on what you're doing. Sound quality wise I LOVE 3ways but they are a pain in the ass to get sounding right. More experienced installers probably don't have that bad of a time installing them if doing fiberglass but to get them sounding right with the tweeter takes a lot of tuning which means a expensive processor. 2013 F150 Crew Cab Old Build Log Feedback 2013 F150 Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff
AI James Posted November 19, 2012 Report Posted November 19, 2012 All depends on what you're doing. Sound quality wise I LOVE 3ways but they are a pain in the ass to get sounding right. More experienced installers probably don't have that bad of a time installing them if doing fiberglass but to get them sounding right with the tweeter takes a lot of tuning which means a expensive processor. not really the case at all. crossed over properly, you dont need a crazy processor.
Sonic Posted November 19, 2012 Report Posted November 19, 2012 http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8105-up36-dls-65-3-way-ultimate-series-system.aspx http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9614-hsk-163-hertz-65-3-way-hi-energy-component-system.aspx
Skrilla Posted November 19, 2012 Author Report Posted November 19, 2012 Hertz Have you herd the Hertz 3-ways? For the money you can get 5 of those http://www.stevemead...onent-speakers/ That's a pretty good deal. The most sets I would run is four, but I couldn't really find any reviews on them. All depends on what you're doing. Sound quality wise I LOVE 3ways but they are a pain in the ass to get sounding right. More experienced installers probably don't have that bad of a time installing them if doing fiberglass but to get them sounding right with the tweeter takes a lot of tuning which means a expensive processor. not really the case at all. crossed over properly, you dont need a crazy processor. Is a good processor a must with 3-ways? I probably won't even be running one. That could be a deciding factor http://www.wooferset...ies-system.aspx http://www.wooferset...ent-system.aspx If I was only going to run one set, I would do something like that, but I want to run at least two sets. 2 HDC3 18's AQ2200D
Watch the bass Posted November 19, 2012 Report Posted November 19, 2012 Google!? "in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley
Sonic Posted November 19, 2012 Report Posted November 19, 2012 Then buying raw drivers and run them active would yield you better results.
mrd6 Posted November 19, 2012 Report Posted November 19, 2012 Before giving out suggestions for speakers we should know more about the setup in question... What amp are you going to be powering them with? Running active or with the stock crossovers? What does your substage look like? What are your goals? Dont just say sq or spl, because those terms might not mean what you or other people think they mean Do you plan to mount the mids and tweets in the pillars and then midbass in doors or all in the doors? What is the plan for that? But a bit more to the original question, a single three way setup properly powered and installed will outplay the "comparable" two way set. It should also be able to keep up well with bass up to the high 140s depending on the particular set and power being used. My Build Log: http://www.stevemead...-sundown-power/ Team NorthWestSPL
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.