Dropping box volume..?

Hey guys...

I have perhaps a dumb question.. but here it goes anyways...

I'm currently running 2 RE Audio SX 18s in a 14.5 cu. ft enclosure at 36hz... Ive seen guys on here running double the drivers in what appears to be less air space...

With that being said... can I drop box volume (overall size) and still retain the performance I'm getting now? I love the way my setup sounds currently, but the box is friggen huge for what it is...

According to RE, optimal airspace is 8 cu. ft. (per driver I assume?) So how are guys getting away with running any large driver combo such as 4 18s in boxes that appear smaller then mine?

Am I missing something?

I also wouldnt mind at all adding another 2 18s to this setup down the road with a different box... but how small can one go and still get quality sound and high output?

Sorry if these are dumb questions... I've been out of the loop for a while.

Thanks guys

-Chris

03' Black Z71 Tahoe
3" Lift / 315/70/R17 Goodyear Duratracs
Eclipse AVN6620 Touchscreen Head Unit
Hifonics BRX3016 - 3krms @ 1ohm
2 RE Auido SX 18s - 14.5^3ft net @ 30hz w/ 200^2in. port
120hp Cummins 4bta Swap

• 3 weeks later...

well, minimum recommended is 5.5ft3. Are they running in a shared chamber? I would assume they are, so my general rule of thumb (others use this too), is 1.5x the recommended volume for 2 subs in a shared chamber. so .5 x 5.5 = 2.75. 2.75*3 = 8.25+5.5 = 13.75ft^3. That's probably why they are running that size.

If you are running a shared chamber box, I'd say you could probably get away with somewhere between 8.25 and 12ft^3. I'd do closer to 12ft^3 though. If you do a 12 cube box, my guess is that you'll probably gain, or at least will be able to run them harder (assuming you're in a shared chamber box right now.

Archived