Second Skin Audio

box idea

appealingrelic

Interesting idea, but why? You would essentially be making a box large enough to hold two subs, but only having the power output of 1.

And if you were to run both of them at the same time, you would get cancellation. Think about phasing in a ported box vs. sealed box: it will cancel at some frequencies, and boost at others.

so its odd and probably pointless but has anyone ever seen or heard of making a half ported half sealed box. like run a high qts 10 in the sealed side on an amp with the crossover set higher freq. and a low qts 12 on a separate amp with the crossover set lower?

A couple of ideas like that have been posted on here, I remember the comments of one guy doing this saying that his ported box wouldn't blend in well with the front stage like his sealed did but sealed lacked low end. I think that ported alone can do well as long as it's setup right.

I thought about cancellation but don't have a perfect grasp on the concept of how waves behave in different setups but I had the idea of setting crossovers to have each sub playing different frequencies. Kind of a sound quality concept of sorts. Plus it'd be a unique showpiece if it worked properly.

Archived