DD1 tuning for slowed music?

Low notes use more power, that's all I know. You could start drawing conclusions about how this might cause you problems from that alone but I'd test more. Back the gain off and see if the problem persists with the same track.

Pretty sure low notes don't always use more power. You use the least amount of power at your tuning frequency because that is where the impedance is the highest. 28hz shouldn't be too bad tuned to 30hz. My voltage always dropped the most at 45ish hz when I was tuned to 34 because the impedance was the lowest. Aaaam I wrong?

This is basically correct. I believe that the farther away from tuning frequency, the less box rise you have. Less box rise = lower impedance, lower impedance = amp puts out more power, amp putting out more power = amp drawing more power.

A while back I had my 15" lvl 5 wired to 1ohm (had 2 dead coils) on my AP30001D (2ohm stable). Box was tuned to 36hz, but due to the sub having 2 dead coils, the throw was limited and it would peak at 43hz. I clamped the AP at 43hz and it was putting out 3011w, I had voltage drop due to issues that have since been fixed, but either way, it was at around 11.5v and impedance was around 2.5ohm. I had to turn my low pass filter down to 50hz instead of 80hz because when it would hit the higher notes (55+) it would kill my voltage (lights would dim, sub would start stinking on songs that had a lot of bass at these higher frequencies, etc.). I never noticed the same with lower notes, but I'm sure it's somewhat there, but my guess is that since my box was tuned at 36hz, it kept imp rise in check until the extreme lows and I never ran those low notes at full tilt (30hz or lower) because excursion would get out of hand well before I had any voltage issues.

edit: once I get myself a good clamp meter, I plan on doing some measurements on various boxes/subs to see what the results are. I'll make sure to post the results.

Edited by the_garynator

The lights dimmed but could the sub be cutting out because of the air leak?

I am back at school so I'll have to flush it up when I get home. I thought I had been hearing something though haha. The subsonic is a 50hz on the head unit I believe and the settings are all flat the sub level is +2 it clips at +3 when tested with the dd1.

The lights dimmed but could the sub be cutting out because of the air leak?

I don't think it'd cut out from an air leak, but like Snow Drifter said maybe its unloading? I still don't get the clipping light on the knob though. I've heard they weren't always accurate too by the way.

E34 540iT/6

Alert noob question... What is unloading? Well I kinda know what it is but could you explain it? Also how would I fix it?

Alert noob question... What is unloading? Well I kinda know what it is but could you explain it? Also how would I fix it?

I may be wrong but I think unloading is just when the woofer loses "control" I guess and doesn't just excurt forward and back normally? So when you play under tuning this can happen easier. The cone kind of flaps lol

E34 540iT/6

And to fix it, either turn your SSF up if it's from overpowering/playing way under tuning, or redesign your box probably. But pretty sure your box is fine.. minus the air leak

Edited by wmrcs

E34 540iT/6

So wouldn't the air leak cause it to free air haha. Its not the boxes fault its my stupid weak drill's fault haha.