Sonic Electronix

Why do we consider resistance more than impedance?

I was just thinking the other day and something occurred to me. Why do we care so much about the DCR of subs when they are obviously in an AC circuit? Shouldn't Z be more important?

I just can't wrap my head around it and hopefully someone with more electrical knowledge than I will chime in and explain

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

That is why the manufactures give you a nominal impedance, which is the load that the amp will see a lot of the time....because that's how the sub was made.

We measure using DCR because the speaker is not moving when we are measuring it ;)

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

I was just thinking the other day and something occurred to me. Why do we care so much about the DCR of subs when they are obviously in an AC circuit? Shouldn't Z be more important?

I just can't wrap my head around it and hopefully someone with more electrical knowledge than I will chime in and explain

Because the impedance changes with a different frequency, the impedance also changes based on the amp connected to.

Current and voltage are out of phase and that's why the impedance changes too.

So it's not very simple to use the impedance.

Why would DCR or Z be important?

If you use a program like Winisd, you can get the impedance curve if you need that.

That is why the manufactures give you a nominal impedance, which is the load that the amp will see a lot of the time....because that's how the sub was made.

We measure using DCR because the speaker is not moving when we are measuring it ;)

The amp won't see a nominal impedance the most of the time.

Impedance changes if the frequency changes, so i doubt you listen to tones..

They calculate nominal impedance, not measure it.

(Znom=squareroot(L/C))

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived