Jump to content

Loud & Low 8th Gen Civic - Time to say good bye to her.


Recommended Posts

Posted

Thanks.

The next couple weeks will be interesting. I need to do some testing on the HVAC controls to see how far they will extend to. I'm waiting for the finalization of my new house to close. And as soon as that happens I have to do things to it before we can move into it. So things are going to get crazy here very soon.

However, that being said, these are the things that will be ordered in the next week or so.

4 - 50' spools of 1/0 ga cable

100' - 16ga speaker cable

1 - XS Power D5100r

1 - DC Audio XL12 M2 D2 fully loaded

So we'll see what happens between now and then!

Posted

Ok guys, I've got some good news, and I've got some news that's probably going to irritate some of you. Here goes!

So I was toying with the idea of putting the head unit down in the cubby under the HVAC controls. The issue there, was that I could not get that cubby out, and everyone told me from the civic sites, that I had to pull the dash to get it out of there! Well.................................this is my big EFF YOU!!! :jon: That's right HATERS (no Adam not you), I win! I beat that bitch into submission and she gave it up like a $2.00 hooker! (now I'm talking to you Adam! :roflmao: ) Couldn't resist!

It wasn't easy that's for sure, but for those folks who want to do this, let me see if I can show you what to do. First you have to take the radio portion of the dash out. Like you're going to replace the head unit. Now that you have that out, you can get to the two top screws on top, well SORT OF!! But I managed with a 1/4" ratchet, an extension, a 1/4" socket, and an assortment of lengths of screwdriver bits. I didn't take pics of those, but you get the idea. I taped the bits to the 1/4" socket, and that kept them from falling out of the socket and me throwing shit out of frustration!

After a half hour, mostly trying to figure out how to do it and what would fit etc, I got one screw out! WIN for me!

20121231_135156.jpg

The second one took about 5 minutes.

20121231_135600.jpg

I thought I was pretty victorious but was soon brought back down to earth considering where they came from. Not a very big accomplishment really! I was going to circle them but I'm on the new photobucket and it SUCKS ASS!! So anyway, it's the two points at the bottom of the picture that it looks like screws would go into. Not as easy as they look cause of the piece that's about 2 inches behind it, well it's directly behind it so I had a hard time getting anything in there.

20121231_135608.jpg

Next it was time for the real work! Getting the bottom two screws out! First one wasn't so bad, here you can see I'm pointing to it with my finger.

20121231_141133.jpg

3 out!

20121231_141109.jpg

So you see the screw in this picture! Ya that wasn't the one I needed to get. I was on my back here under the dash. Thought I had the right one, silly me! This does loosen the dash piece though. But not too much.

20121231_141242.jpg

Yeah, see this one, way up in there, where it looks almost impossible to get to. Well it pretty much was! But again, I was victorious!!

20121231_141617.jpg

WINNING! BIG VICTORY FOR ME!!

20121231_142924.jpg

20121231_142935.jpg

So look it wasn't that easy to get that thing out of there. First thing I'd suggest is removing the screw I showed you that goes to the dash piece, as well as the other one on the other side. Also in the head unit area, there are two nut screws that should come out as well. This will give you a little bit of slack to be able to move the dash. Next I'd highly suggest getting the 12v outlet out, and the aux input port if you have one. Then it takes some patience, twisting, pulling, moving, and more to get it out of there. It's NOT EASY! But again, I WIN!

Once I got this piece out I decided, I couldn't stand it! I had a big victory, I thought i'd make myself feel even better!

Posted

So I got the tablet out and slapped it in!

Here's a hole that needs filled!

20121231_142929.jpg

So I filled it!

20121231_143729.jpg

Then...................................................................

The good feeling was gone! It turned from a good feeling to a frustrated mass of pissed off! Can you see the problem?!?

20121231_143848.jpg

How bout now?

20121231_143842.jpg

There's so much glare on the tablet from the angle of the tablet that it's so damn hard to see it. It's not terribly hard, but I know me, I'm going to get tired of it very very quickly!

So now I'm not feeling so sure and happy with anything. Matter of fact, at this point I was so upset with it, I was ready to stop and actually not do the tablet. Remember this is the 3rd time I've done this. Although this is the furthest I've gotten with it. But it's not going to work for me, I just know it's not. I'm not at all going to be happy with that. Not at all!

But that aside, while I had some time, I decided to start playing with placement of the head unit. That was why I took the cubby out of there in the first place! So here's what I found out!

It looks good down there, I like it! There is plenty of room for it there, but I still have to figure out how to get it to go and look like it belongs. Lots of work. I do have some support bracing to cut out though too.

20121231_143908.jpg

Then my curiosity got the better of me! I really do like the way it looks there, but the only problem is, there's a full support piece that goes across directly behind there and that would have to be completely cut out. Not sure how I feel about that, but it may not be a big deal.

20121231_144201.jpg

Moving on, this is what I thought about the HVAC controls again. This one isn't so bad, since I don't have my big hands in the way! But again, still going to be lots of work to make that happen.

20121231_145213.jpg

So at the end of all that I was left very frustrated and disappointed! I now want to do the tablet over again, and stand it up more. The problem with that is that I'm going to be forced to put the HVAC controls and the Head Unit somewhere else. I can put the head unit under there in the cubby, like you saw.

The biggest task is going to be the HVAC controls. I have to make sure I'm not limited in moving them, like I was with the head unit. That's going to take some testing. Where was I looking to put those? I'm thinking in the ceiling where the dome light is, but that's going to be a complete pain, and a ton of work to get to look and fit right. I'm not sure I have it in me for that. I have to look at it some more when I'm not so frustrated, and a little more level headed!

The other areas I'm contemplating are the glove box, or the center console. Not sure those are the optimal spots.

So that's where I'm at. I'll re address it in the next couple of days when I have some rebuilt patience!

Thanks guys!

Posted

so is there gonna be enuff room to fit the headunit in there or will it stick out more then it should to look factroy

Yes, where the faceplate is at in the 5th picture in the last post, I have the entire alpine unit in there not just the face plate. It would end up sitting about flush with the front of the dash to give me enough room for the rca's to plug in etc. I'd also be doing this where the cage is involved so that I can slide it in and then take it out if I need to without taking the whole dash piece off.

Posted

I had the same problem with my tablet, I tried about 4-5 different angles and I think I have the sweet spot now. Any chance for a anti glare screen protector?

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.



EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

Posted

If you tint the windshield with say 70 percent or even 50% wouldn't the glare go away?

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8665 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...