How long does enamel take to dry/cure??

Yesterday, I painted my wheels with Rustoleum Pro Enamel - flat black - I did 6 coats with about an hour between them. Then this morning, I did an additional 3 coats on the edges of my rim where my plastidip started to peel, just to be sure. It's been 6 hours in 90 degrees and I can still easily dig my fingernails into it.

Any ideas on how long it takes this stuff to harden? I know it hasn't been that long, but any other paint I've used would be hard by now while this still feel soft.

Did you paint it like the instructions on the can said? With enamel it should harden better than regular paint but in my experience they need to be thin layers and proper temp to cure correctly otherwise the outer skin will harden too quickly preventing the under layer from getting air so that it hardens well. Otherwise it could take up to a week to be completely dry... :/

the 90 degree heat might almost be too much, you using space heaters or something in the garage?

Team NorthWestSPL

Yeah, space heaters. It said to apply a second coat within an hour or after 48 hours, but that was based on 70 degrees. It was like 55 when I was painting, so I waited the full hour between coats

Gotcha, well as long as they were thin enough coats you should be fine. But based on that "or wait until 48 hours" thing it may not cure fully until that long. Last time I used that rustoleum enamel it was on a pair of speaker towers and they took about 36 hours before I felt comfortable transporting them. Had them outside over night last summer so probably got down to around 60 degrees or so and 70-80 during the day

Team NorthWestSPL

Well... The paint has hardened up quite a bit, but I can still dig my fingernail into it. Hmm.....

some enamels take up to 7 days to fully "cure" ... i know with the duplicolor engine enamel they say 7 days to fully cure and be chemical resistant thats how long i would wait before putting them back on the car

* assuming they are not your only set of rims you have avail for the car!

Well... The paint has hardened up quite a bit, but I can still dig my fingernail into it. Hmm.....

It needs a good day to fully cure. Rustoleum especially always dries to touch fast but takes a lot longer.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

It's had a good 3 days. That's why I'm wondering haha

Archived