Well, I've been wanting a guard dog (atleast looks wise) to protect the back yard and play fetch with, and the wife wanted something she could walk without worring about people messing with her. I can't see paying for a dog when there's so many that need help, so we went to the humane society a few days ago, and really liked this guy:

dog_3.jpg

We just picked him up and he'll be getting cleaned up tomorrow at petsmart (I tried to bathe him and it just isn't going to work..)

I'll get more pics when I get fresh batteries.

dog_4.jpg

He was a stray so they don't know what enviroment he grew up in, but he's 1-2 years old, and has been there since last June- over 6 months penned up.

He's obviously part lab, and from the markings, thick neck, wide head, and his deep growl we think part rot. He seems really good-tempered, but fairly protective. We've just brought him home today after getting his shots and micro-chip, and as soon as the in-laws came over he growled :lol:

I've had a fear of of big dogs for as long as I can remember, but it's also the only kind I like (kind of ironic?). I know there's a lot of dog people on this forum, so any advice I could get would really help as far as training him, thoughts on what he might be mixed with, or helping me for that matter ;) . Thanks a lot guys, I'll get more pics after he's had a good bath and I get some batteries tomorrow.

Edited by tejcurrent

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

That's awesome bro! props on giving the lil guy a new good home!

I have made up my mind, and the next pit i get (however long that will be) i want to get one that was rescued from bad owners, and rehabilitate it!

That's what it's all about man. Most of them are really nice dogs, just a lot of people are afraid of a dog they know nothing about. It's sad because they have dozens of dogs on site, but not many get adopted. 2 years ago only 30some were adopted all year, last year it went up to 60. So many people spend hundreds or more on dogs, but with all the dogs that need a good home that just doesn't feel right to me.

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

Okay, fresh from a bath:

dog_5.jpg

He still has so much loose hair he won't be inside for quite a while.

I don't know why I like this pic so much :lol:

dog_6.jpg

dog_7.jpg

dog_8.jpg

So there he is, he's still so skinny, but I'm sure it won't be long before his ribs are covered a bit better. He really is a good natured dog, it's just that he likes to put his mouth on your hands. While he's gentle, it's not the most reasuring place to have them- you know?

*edit- It looks like he has no toys or anything- it's just that he won't put down that stick lol.

Edited by tejcurrent

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

Nice lookin dog man!! Yeah I am a previous lab owner ( ex wife has him :( ) and hes definately got lab in him. We just picked up a dog from some friends that were going to give her to the AWS but I couldnt let them do that. She is about 2yrs old and is an austrailian sheppard *sp? , brittney spaniel mix. A real lover, will post some pics in the dog thread soon. But yeah great looking dog! He is definately happy, you can see that in his eyes!!

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg