Second Skin Audio

Something that has been bugging me

andygardner

So it's been on my mind a lot recently and I figured I'd finally ask. If when running more power you put the subwoofer in a smaller box, but yet that box is less efficient (leading to higher impedance rise.) Wouldn't it defeat the point since you might not even be running more power? This is assuming a 1 ohm nominal load.

This is an interesting question, at least to me. As much as I thought I knew about boxes before, whenever I come on this forum, more and more things I don't know show up. Really humbles you.

Back on topic, while it does seem like it could negate the point, I feel that a slightly smaller box won't cause a giant rise in impedance. Sure, it will probably increase the impedance some, but I don't think that it could double or triple the impedance. But that's just my opinion, and I really don't have anywhere NEAR the technical knowledge of a lot of the other members on here. Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about sees this and answers your question!

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Regular CabPioneer MVH-P7300Orion 800.4Planet Audio Big Bang series 6.5 componentsJL G17002 Diamond Audio D610D4's

Build log

women drivers no survivors

With the numerous factors that contribute to how a speaker reacts in a given enclosure, and how that enclosure reacts in a given space, continuous testing will be the sure fire way to build a more efficient enclosure.

That being said, rise will vary and change dependant on frequency. So unless you're driving around listening to a single tone, you're not doing anything productive. What would be the point designing the enclosure to reduce rise at a given frequency when one note later it changes anyways? In a daily system, rise is almost useless to worry about.

To the original question in the original post, using a smaller enclosure has nothing to do with efficiency per se. It is giving the sub more control.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Thanks for the replies guys. And I know music is dynamic and the reactive ohm load changes based on frequency. But why I was thinking about all this it just started to bug me. I've been learning so much so fast I'm just trying to get everything straightened out.

My build is coming up in about a month or two so I just want to get my questions answered.

Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

Do it simple. Don't use more power than the sub is rated for. unless you want to compete in spl contests !

The rms rating on a sub is not the power needed by the sub to perform well. It gives you an idea for the amp to run. But the sub can sound as good and as loud with less than rated power. So, just don't focus on watts and impedance rise. focus on the install, the BOX, the electrical,...etc

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

So far I have my list of stuff to buy that fits my budget. I'm not really worried to much about impedance rise. Just really wondering about the question asked my first post. It was bugging me as stated in the title.

I hope that my first build wont be a huge fail for what I have planned. I've budgeted everything as best as I could for the amount of money I plan on spending. And I was only planning on running 200w over rms power. Which they would rarely see that due to the reactive ohm loads the subs "see".

This is an interesting question, at least to me. As much as I thought I knew about boxes before, whenever I come on this forum, more and more things I don't know show up. Really humbles you.

Back on topic, while it does seem like it could negate the point, I feel that a slightly smaller box won't cause a giant rise in impedance. Sure, it will probably increase the impedance some, but I don't think that it could double or triple the impedance. But that's just my opinion, and I really don't have anywhere NEAR the technical knowledge of a lot of the other members on here. Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about sees this and answers your question!

The more you know, the more you know you don’t know.

—Aristotle

I'm gonna hate

Archived