Second Skin Audio

First time building/assembling a sub. PINK Basket!

Chris Hammer

THis is my first time building/assembling a sub. Thought a skar vvx10 would be a good start. Bought a motor/basket from TylerParrish. it was a 12 with a broken basket. Salvaged the motor..cleaned the gap and bought a vvx10 recone. Needed a basket so got a generic 12spoke 10" form CACO...Skar doesn't sell parts just recones.

A friend of mine does powdercoating so I gave him the basket he blasted it to remove all the glue etc. Then I told him to powdercoat it whatever color he wants since it was for free. So he did it BRIGHT PINK lol...imma roll with it and mount it inverted or do a plexi window lol.

Here are two pics from mocking it up last night. THe basket has the wrong bolt pattern...the diameter is about 1/8" too large...my neighbor has a mill so he said this weekend he will put it in there and make 6 new holes that are spaced correctly for me(alot better than drilling with a press or by hand since he has a indexed spacer) Once that is done I already have all the glues and should have it playing by next week.

Sorry if pics aren't the best...they're better than my old phone but still phone pics lol.

WP_20121213_001.jpg

WP_20121213_002.jpg

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Also I'm going to do direct leads...10gauge since they fit in my amp perfect..already have the wire. Anyone have any tips on soldering them or securing them? I have a few ideas on how to do it.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

Sold to:

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

dude holy shit that basket is bright! hurts my eyes looking at it on a screen, can't imagine how it'd be in person.

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

be sure to clean the paint off the basket before you glue anything down, needs to be bare metal

Its powder coat but while its in the mill we are surfacing the bottom/spider landing/and where the surround attaches...also gonna surface the top plate on the motor to remove the old epoxy and make a perfectly flat surface agianst the basket.

What I noticed is that the stock sub is epoxied to powdercoating???? but I feel better about gluing to metal.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

Sold to:

Here is the box I have built for it already...since the VVX hav e a low fs I took advantage of it and built a simple T-line 28-29hz tuning. Its in the t-line thread but screw it Ill put it in here. Any tricks on adding plexi to 3/4 mdf...this isn't a huge groundpounder box so Im thinking 1/4" 6x10 piece with 4x8 window and 1inch overlap on the sides...

I am going to use the duplicolor trunk coating to paint my box its speckled and I like the grey. Its already resined I just have to sand and primer it...after I cut out the window.

Here is a few build pics of the box... its screwless..all dado and rabbit joints.

I should probably take all these pics and sub pics and start a build log.... maybe once I get amp and stuff all installed I will.

IMG_20121119_161756.jpg

IMG_20121119_165136.jpg

IMG_20121119_172812.jpg

IMG_20121126_163000.jpg

IMG_20121126_163007.jpg

IMG_20121126_195559.jpg

resin1.jpg

resin2.jpg

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

Sold to:

Thats a homemade circle jig on the router. Its 1/4 mdf with black melomene on both sides...was a piece of scrap so I drilled it out to replace the standard plate on the router...plunged the 1/2" cutter thorugh then measured out the holes for my 10" sub..its good up to 18 inch holes I think if I measured right....worked frikken great and I felt much better than buying a 50$ piece of plastic to do it.

My next real purchase for my build is a DD1...i do enough installs for friends and mess with alot of audio stuff for other people...i might as well get one to use for myself instead of hitting up other memebers on here.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

Sold to:

Archived