1.5 year old drive took a crap - and it gets interesting

Right... So my 1 and a half year old hard drive took a crap. Been treated very very well - has a very nice power supply backing it and has a fan blowing cool, filtered air over it. It's supposed to be a It's a nice western digital one, So imagine my surprise when it stopped working.

Ok...It's supposed to have a 5 year warranty. So I go to their website and put in the serial number to get a service request. But the serial number is invalid. So I call up their customer service, and after talking with them and after they searched their database, they have to record of the drive being produced. They said I probably have a counterfeit drive.

So now I have to run some software they will give me to go into the drive and read the hardware and extract the serial number and other info from there, just to be 100% sure.

The drive also never came in western digital packaging - it came in bulb packaging: just an anti static bag wrapped in bubble wrap.

If it does, in-fact turn out to be counterfeit, I'll post up the seller I got it from just so you all can be aware. But until that is determined, I'm not going to bash them publicly.

And just going to throw this out there: Hats of to WD customer service. They are awesome with prompt communication and don't leave me hanging. They are actually going to send me over one of their drives if they determine it's counterfeit.

Hmm, if ordered through Newegg, most of their drives are OEM, so maybe that's what lead to the discrepancy and the non-retail packaging?

Western Digital is definitely a lot better than most of the other brands I've dealt with. None of the WD drives I've come across dead were that young. Would make sense to me that it's a relabeled-something else.

FWIW, my Seagate is still running strong from way back in 2007. :) Never had a problem with a Seagate drive, and when my friends/family need new hard drives I always make it a point to get them a Seagate, and none of their drives ever give them problems.

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

Wasn't Newegg. It was through an amazon retailer ;)

All the Newegg drives I've gotten are in OEM packaging like it should be

Good to hear that a company cares enough about its reputation to replace a counterfeit piece with a genuine one. Definitely a company worth supporting.

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet

Custom carbon fiber sub box

EVERYTHING else is stock, for now

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s

146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ

Well, the drive has been confirmed counterfeit

so you say it took a crap. What specifically do you mean? Does it not spin, power up? Is it that you cannot boot into your OS now? Corrupted blocks etc? have you tried setting it to Slave, or putting it to the Slave interface on the HDD cable (if your jumper is set to Cable Select)? See if a computer can recognize the drive and if you can get into it to recover your files....

Dunno know for sure but it could be something other than the drive itself. Hybernating a system for soooo long will corrupt the system hive file, andit wont boot back up after a hybernation. etc etc.

Archived