Computer Power Supply and a Car Battery

youre welcome. i had the same problem of overloading the power supply and it was mainly because i went into such a low impedance on my amp that it drew too much current and caused the psu to shut down. i just had to go to the psu, disconnect it from the wall power, wait a minute or two (i could listen closely and hear the high pitched noise that the capacitors made when they were discharging and as soon as that goes away i was ready to plug it back in and get back up and running) It did it a lot especially when i was getting volume happy with some songs i liked hahaha. it gets annoying fast when it happens thats why i am going to look at a normal PA amp kinda like what steve has but lower in power to run a 15-18" sub for my living rooms home theater. The 10" sub i have now is running at 150w rms and isnt worth shit, it barely makes noise to keep up with my klipsch speakers i have haha.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Well I played around with it a little more today, and it would stay on until I turned the volume up too much. Then it would just shut off. So I guess it is just drawing too much power for the power supply to handle.

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

yeah thats what it seems like. try to raise your final impedance load on your amp if you can. that will help to draw less current.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Yup - too low of voltage

But if you want to use it with a battery, you might find this to be a useful read ;)

http://www.transmission1.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=17983

Yup - too low of voltage

But if you want to use it with a battery, you might find this to be a useful read ;)

http://www.transmiss...hp?f=34&t=17983

I might have to try that sometime! I'll probably just set it aside for now though so I can start building some boxes!

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

This is an easier way to do it if your 20/24 pin ATX connector has the sense wires right on it.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?37574-Guide-Power-Supply-Sense-Wire-Modding

You might check to see if the PSU you are using can supply more than 18A as some have split 12v rails. If it has split rails and each is rated at 18A you may be able to combine them.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

You might check to see if the PSU you are using can supply more than 18A as some have split 12v rails. If it has split rails and each is rated at 18A you may be able to combine them.

Very true all you have to do is combine all the Yellow twelve volt wires together and BOOM big 12v rail. The only down side is the circuit protection may not work as well as it should with that setup though.

Very true all you have to do is combine all the Yellow twelve volt wires together and BOOM big 12v rail. The only down side is the circuit protection may not work as well as it should with that setup though.

It will work every bit as well as it did before if it was built correctly from the start.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

It will work every bit as well as it did before if it was built correctly from the start.

True though when it comes to PSU's I tend to assume they're one of the many cheap and poorly designed ones floating around.

Archived