Second Skin Audio

this doesn't sound like a healthy sub. dammit!

xx1

I'm thinking it was probably a manufacturers defect since I don't think this was enough power to highlight any box loading issues. I doubt you could push them into mechanical failure even free air.

Go get some epoxy w/mixer tube from home depot and glue around underneath the spacer. If you can get sandpaper in there to rough it up a bit first, that would be ideal. Then stick a couple pounds of weight on the cone.

Ideally: you would cut out the dustcap too and shim the coil so you are sure everything is centered

I think its centered because if I push down right at the dust cap it does not make "the noise" or anything, no rub either.

and I've never made any repairs to a sub so I'm not really comfortable. but will try to glue the spacer with that epoxy and see how it goes.

thanks for the help man!

smdban.jpg

audio related merchandise (decals,banners,lanyards,hats,shirt,etc)

I agree with snowdrifter...i use 5 minute 2 part plastic epoxy ( like 1500psi) but i would use the 1 hour epoxy ( like 3600 psi or something). i figured it was voice coil seperated from cone when i watched the first video, but i havent seen a sub seperate there before. Had to be manufacture defect for sure, crap in the mold or something

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

if I hold down the spacer with my hand, I can tap the sub or push the dust cap and it doesn't make any weird noise or rub.

its wasn't new, Flwatersaver used them in his 4th order for a few months.

and I've been using them for at least a month.

about warranty I don't think there's anything to do about it since I didn't bought them from Fi.

smdban.jpg

The fact alone that you can push the dust cap and no longer hear the noise would indicate a loose dust cap needing to be removed and reglued.

I'm pushing the dustcap along with the cone, and holding the spacer

http://youtu.be/cYVWNjhF6mw

http://youtu.be/CtOe4hJsim4

I'm going to glue the spacer then, and see from there. thanks!

smdban.jpg

all right seems like I fixed it.

thanks to you guys info.

some epoxy and 20hrs later..........

it feels pretty solid, I test it for about 10mins with a saz3500 free air, (but I wasn't going full tilt) still seems to be holding fine, hopefully it'll stay that way.

smdban.jpg

all right seems like I fixed it.

thanks to you guys info.

some epoxy and 20hrs later..........

it feels pretty solid, I test it for about 10mins with a saz3500 free air, (but I wasn't going full tilt) still seems to be holding fine, hopefully it'll stay that way.

Well hell, that made for a great free air video, is the epoxy still holding up?

XS-power1.jpg

Archived