Sundown Audio

DC 2.0 Protect Mode

PapaGeno21

You need to be looking at AC voltage first off. Using your DMM to set your gains is just like guessing. The DMM cannot see the sine wave or distortion in the signal, all it is seeing is the voltage. Your math is useless unless you know the signal starting at the head unit is clean and then back to your amplifier and through any processors in between.

WHOOPS. I have been using DC voltage on the dmm. Not AC. Ok regardless I don't think that a setting on the DMM is going to make the amp go into protect do you? I will retry tomorrow morning with the thing on AC. It is about 20 degrees and now its dark so I am done for tonight.

Out of the 1-9 DB amount for the bass boost I am at I would say a 2.

I know the DMM does not show clipping or distortion, but I would assume if these amps are as underrated as everyone says they are there should be 0 clipping if I am only pushing 2K watts. BUT what do I really know.

| Pioneer | DC Audio | Crescendo | XS Power | SHCA & Knu | CDT | DC Power |

Unfortunately I don't have any way to show if it is a clean signal or not. No DD1 here and no O Scope. I also am not getting either of those two tools.

DMM Is really all I have, so that's what I have been doing.

I guess I could run it like this for a while and after I feel its broken in enough to really beat the snot out of it I could set it by ear? That kinda scares me though as I have no idea what the sub would sound like or do if I am sending it too much power. Never dealt with high power setups or subs before.

Where are you located? Im sure someone on here is willing to use a dd-1 on your amp for you

subwoofers - two eclipse 88120s

box - 3.4 cubes tuned to 32 hz

amps - aq1200 and pheonix gold zx450

New build :

2 obsidian audio 15s

same amp

6.1 cubic foot box tuned to 32 hz in a civic hatch

You probably wired your dual voice coil woofer wrong, and you have a dead short on a coil, which will allow the woofer to play at low volume, but as soon as you turn it up the amp realizes you did something wrong and says fuck you im not doing that and goes into protection.

What ohm is the sub?

Honestly without the proper tools to tune the amp, the best way to set the gains is find the point where the coil starts to stink and back it down until you dont smell it at all when you play full tilt for a few songs.

You probably wired your dual voice coil woofer wrong, and you have a dead short on a coil, which will allow the woofer to play at low volume, but as soon as you turn it up the amp realizes you did something wrong and says fuck you im not doing that and goes into protection.

No.

It is a D2 and i am running at 1. The box has 4 bolt style terminals on it which I built. Each one has one wire to the sub, they are all connected with ring terminals. 8G wire to each. I have an 8G jumper wire on the outside connecting the pos to pos and neg to neg, I did it like this so I could easily swap from 1 to 4 ohms. I will never run at 4, but when I get a more powerful sub I could go from 2 to .5. Then I have the amp connected to a pos and a neg.

Parallel configuration for this setup.

I am going to let it break in for a week or so, and then have at it on a warmer day when I can be outside for longer than 10 min intervals. I just cant stand the cold. Right now it is just not putting out enough power to be a problem so I am not worried about hurting it I just wish It wouldn't do what it was doing with this protect mode bullshit.

I AM going to get one of those knobs you posted though. I really like the idea of that over what i have.

Archived