MP 4 files sound better / louder ???

I'm pretty clueless to this stuff, but it just seems to me that MP 4 file types seem to play louder than MP3's, before they clip (more dynamic headroom ?)

What's funny, is that I could not tell any difference in SQ at low to medium levels.... The only difference, was that the MP 4 versions seemed to get SO much louder, with the same clarity ?

Are MP 4 files really that much better, and if so, why ???

Peace,

Fish

Usually when you get an MP4 file it's from iTunes so it's bit rate will be 256kbps and usually mp3s will be 128kbps both usually will have a 44.1kHz sampling rate. CD's are not mp4 they're converted to mp4 by default in itunes though.

Personally I use mp3s with 320kbps bit rate 44.1kHz sampling rate and I adjust the gain of them in software so they don't clip and they all have the same sound level.

BTW both MP3 and MP4 are lossy formats if you really want to have the best sound out of a digital format use a lossless format such as WAV, AIFF, or FLAC.

Thanks guys,

But Noelito, if iTunes are not MP4's, then something must have converted them automatically to MP4's as they were being saved on my PC..... As I just purchased a few iTunes, did nothing to them, and they are now saved as MP4's........ And they sound freaking phenominal too :)

So, does anybody think they (or I) could tell the difference in SQ or SPL, from an iTunes track, and the same track played straight from a CD ???

Fish

I don't think their is a difference from iTunes and cd. I play both and don't notice anything. They sound better then mp3. iTunes music is ways cleaner then ripping a cd from the Internet that is formed into a mp3.

Are you the pro fisher? Lol

I'm not sure why it does that but you can check on iTunes what kind of file it is

If you have sense in hearing you will notice the difference in music but not everybody can tell the difference so you would have to get both versions and see which one sounds better to your ear

If you looking for spl number wise you would have to test it with a termlab

Thanks again guys.

Soundstream, I don't know about "pro"....... but I've caught a few big ones ;) LOL

Seriously though, I've had quite a few sponsers and such in the past, but I'm just not able to fish near as much anymore, since I did the whole life flip 3 years ago, and became a health and fitness nut. Too busy working out, climbing hills, etc.

Peace,

Fish

Actual pressed CDs are most likely WAV files AND MP4's are video files not audio files

There is no noticeable difference between AAC/M4A vs MP3 until you get down to 128kbps and that's when you will hear AAC still sounds good. Nowadays for most new albums if you DL for free there will be links for both Itunes AAC versions and MP3 320kbps versions. I actually have been making the switch to AAC recently

I believe iTunes used to use the m4p extension when they had the whole DRM Protection on the files, maybe they still have it for older files? IDK.

I've been getting into FLAC files recently and they can easily be converted to ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) which is also what I now rip CDs in onto my computer. Big file size but hey its worth it IMO for songs besides rap, although I did rip 2Pac's Greatest Hits CD 2 in it and it sounds fantastic

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

Archived