Tutorial: Seafoaming Your Car

ok here is a step by step tutorial on how to seafoam your car. This is a rather simple procedure and it is suppose to help your car run better by getting rid of the carbon build up in your engine. may help if your car is stalling or running funky and not idling properly. This is really to help out older cars with a bit higher mileage. it wont really do jack on a new car with low miles. Theres no harm in doing this so its not a risky procedure (warning though, if you do decide to pour it into your crankcase make sure you change the oil asap). Preferably do this before you're about to go in for an oil change because this stuff does thin out the oil and also you want to get rid of any gunk that may be in the oil that the seafoam cleaned up not cycle it through the engine for another 1000 miles. anyway this is done on my civic but should be similar for most cars.

ok first of all you need a bottle of seafoam. You can find them in most autoparts stores like pepboys, autozone etc. then you need to split up the bottle into 3. what i like to use are laundry load cups. i like these because exactly at 3 loads labeled on the cup, splits the seafoam into 1/3. i only have 3 out for demonstration purposes you only need one. the next thing you will need is a funnel. and lastly it may be easier to do if you have someone in the car revving the engine but it is possible to do it by yourself.

first thing to do is let the engine run for about 3-5min to warm up then shut it off.

now you need to pour 1/3rd of the seafoam into a cup

Posted Image

Posted Image

now open up your gas cap, stick the funnel in and pour in 1/3rd of the seafoam into the gas tank. try not to do this when the gas tank is full preferably when its between 1/4 to 1/2 full.

Posted Image

the next step can be done if you want to do it or not. if you dont want to do it then youll need to split the seafoam bottle in half instead and skip this step.

youll need to pour the seafoam into the oil. remember after you seafoam the oil you need to change it soon dont put it off till like a month later. you need to change the oil the same day.

Posted Image

once you have this done you can start the car again. the next step can be done in a few ways. you can get a vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator or brake booster line.

Posted Image

Posted Image

if you decide to do it this way then take the 1/3 remaining seafoam and put the hose on the very surface of the seafoam. do not submerge cause itll kill the engine. slowly dip it in and out if the engine starts to die. have someone rev the engine so it doesnt die or pull the throttle cable if you can multitask. once the engine sucks up all the seafoam shut off the engine.

the other method is to slowly pour it through the throttle body (done on a jeep) most tb's are on their side so youll need to stick a hose into it and slowly pour it in that way.

Posted Image

REMEMBER NOT TO JUST DUMP IT IN. VERY SLOWLY POUR IT OTHERWISE ITLL HYDROLOCK.

rev the engine to about 2k rpm and slowly pour in the seafoam. shut off the engine once youre done pouring.

wait for 10 minutes and then restart the engine and let it idle. there will be alot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust so dont worry about it, its normal. once you let it idle for about 5 minutes take it out for a quick spin but not an aggressive spin to fully cleanse out the seafoam. your car will look like its a pos bout to break down so maybe it may be a better idea to do this when no one is around lol but once barely any smoke comes either go get your oil changed or do it yourself. also remove the negative on your battery and just try to drain any residual power ( hit the brakes, turn on the lights hit the horn etc. ) this works on some cars and not on others but it wouldn't kill you to do it. this will just reset the ecu and hopefully your car will idle better.

hope this helps out if i missed anything please let me know ill add it in

oh btw dont get this stuff on your paint. it smells like acetone use a funnel to avoid spilling it on your paint.

Thanks for the riteup i was wondering how it was done.

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

i pour a whole bottle of seafoam in my gas tank. i never put seafoam in my oil but i'm going to try it. i'm going to start using all lucas products in my explorer 400,000 and still going strong

1991 Ford Explorer 1 Pioneer deh-p4000UB1 Memphis 16-st 20041 Pioneer Premier tsd720c

I love that seafoam shit. I use it. I did it on my t-bird with 150,000 miles. I used the whole can on my intake, I was in a big ass parking lot behind my old job, after I was done pouring it into my car. I let it sit, than I took it out for a spin. I floored it from the start and the entire parking lot filled with a big ass white cloud, you couldnt see shit.

Team Deadly Hertz

I have heard mixed reviews, on the vw forum I goto, they say do not put it in the oil, Im not a mechanic, Im only relaying info that I read. how well did it work for you bro? does your car run better?

I have heard mixed reviews, on the vw forum I goto, they say do not put it in the oil, Im not a mechanic, Im only relaying info that I read. how well did it work for you bro? does your car run better?

yeah ive read that too but its just a precaution. you dont need to put it in the oil if you dont want to but i like doing it before i change my oil cause all the gunk will come right out with the oil and not have time to settle back in again. on my civic i noticed it idled smoother when i was at stops but that was it. with my jeep though totally different story. throttle response went from like takes 5 seconds to kick in to almost instant. the car ran alot smoother and just felt more powerful in general. felt like it went from a jeep with 220k miles to 20k miles :) it really depends on your situation but it does work for the most part.

yeah ive read that too but its just a precaution. you dont need to put it in the oil if you dont want to but i like doing it before i change my oil cause all the gunk will come right out with the oil and not have time to settle back in again. on my civic i noticed it idled smoother when i was at stops but that was it. with my jeep though totally different story. throttle response went from like takes 5 seconds to kick in to almost instant. the car ran alot smoother and just felt more powerful in general. felt like it went from a jeep with 220k miles to 20k miles :) it really depends on your situation but it does work for the most part.

sweet I may have to try it in the Jetta when shes living agian LOL

good write up. oh i like that valve cover what engine you got d16z6 or d16y8?

d16z6 i rattle canned that valve cover came out really well imo. just put down some high heat temp spray paint and then used normal red enamel and brushed on the lettering.

looks nice, ive been looking at lucas products for our 250k explorer, wonder what kinda results i'll get using either item.

im sure youll notice a difference with that high of mileage

Archived