Active setup dilema, Need some help here please

Jessica

Do to recent developments I think the build is going to be on hold for quite some time. I have enough stuff here to still do build, it's just not exactly what i had originally planned. So here is the low down.

Doors:

Fosgate P2 8" ran around 120hz and down (more on this later)

Fosgate 6 1/2 t2 140 ish to 3k

Pillars

Polk db 5 1/4 band passed 160 ish? to x-over point

T2 tweeter x-over point and up

I have a pioneer deh 80-prs, so i got the active x-overs and i got the time alignment.

I will split the sub out on the pioneer and run it to the amp for the p2 8's and the split will go to the sub amp for the sa-12 (seperate amp) and it will be set around 65hz or so.

The t2's will be on the rear channel of the 4 channel amp, the 5 1/4's and tweets will run of the front channel and i will have to use passive x-over to deal with it after.

This all looks like a cluster eff, and I don't have much confidence in it. It might work, but thats why i am asking.

Thanks

edit: info

I would ditch either the 8" or the 6.5" and go 4 way active with the 5.25 as a midrange, there is really no need to combine the 6.5's and 8's as you'll only complicate things more than you need to. That's just my thoughts about it though.

Hell if your not sure on anything yet then start this out as a 2 way with sub and see how well you like it and then as you get the mid and tweeter where you like it then add the midrange and expand it to the full 3 way set-up.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I think this is along the right track but IMO i would ditch the polks and run the 8s 6.5 and tweets. Edit: and the sundown subs

I used to have a pair of those db series speakers, they sound nice for the money but i don't think they are quite up to par with the rest of your equipment. Also, having two sets of completely different speakers playing the same frequency range is more likely going to clutter your frequency response/imaging/ and soundstage as well as making time alignment less effective, than it is likely to help.

That 4 way with the sas tuned low should sound really nice when all dialed in on the pioneer hu. The 80prs supports 4 way active right?

Team NorthWestSPL

Kind of what I thought. Hmmm, So you think 8's in doors, 5 1/4 and tweets in pillars? the 5 1/4's should be plenty loud that close to my face. Mayve i could toss the 6 1/2 in the back on a switch for when i have passengers back there.

Decisions decisions.

• 1 month later...

I think you can do what first idea was it just depends on what kind of system you want, SQ or SQL. Its to funny beacuse i was thinking of a simular set up after my all RF build i finished 7 weeks ago and not pleased with how it turned out, mainly due to a shity HU which i have replaced but not installed yet. So happens its the Pioneer DEH-80PRS and had been thinking about going active as well.I have T265 comps in front doors ran off a T400-4 and RF T652 in rear deck so my sound stage is screwy and have learned thru here ho to fix alot of my system but i want to go big and loud.

New build idea:

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

LC7 Linedriver

Clarion MCD360 2/3 active cross over

RF P38S in fiber glassed kicker panels bridged off a T400-4 i have mounted in trunk, ran of Low pass off Clarion xover

2 sets of RF T265 comps in front doors fiber glassed in off T400-4 active off Highs & mid channels off HU

1 set of RF T2 5.25 comps in rear doors fiber glassed in off a RF PBR 300x4 ran from highs & mids of Clarion channels

RF T1D212" sub in custom enclosure tuned to 34hz ran of a 1999 RF power bd 1000a1 @ 500 watts, like to upgrade to a T1500 this summer. 8 gauge RF wire inside box and from box to amp.

ELECTRICAL:

Stock alt for now but will be upgrading this summer

Optima Blue Top under hood

Big 3 upgrade with 0 gauge

2 runs of 0 gauge to batt in the trunk

1 Kenetic HC 1800 for sub amp

1 Kenetic HC 600 fro mids & highs

All RF wiring, Fuses, Distibution Blocks RF RF RF....YAAAA!

85% of all this is installed all ready, i would need 2 more sets of speakers and a lot of time to fiber glass doors for this build idea. But until then i will install HU soon and tune every thing to see how it sounds. I just really enjoy car audio and going big so we'll see what direction things go.

It was nice to see some have a simular idea though.

I think this is along the right track but IMO i would ditch the polks and run the 8s 6.5 and tweets. Edit: and the sundown subs

I used to have a pair of those db series speakers, they sound nice for the money but i don't think they are quite up to par with the rest of your equipment. Also, having two sets of completely different speakers playing the same frequency range is more likely going to clutter your frequency response/imaging/ and soundstage as well as making time alignment less effective, than it is likely to help.

That 4 way with the sas tuned low should sound really nice when all dialed in on the pioneer hu. The 80prs supports 4 way active right?

the deh 80prs does 3way active, high mid low. i would suggest keeping it at a 3way setup. then later adding in the 8s to play the lower mid bass freq after everything else is in. i would do the 6.5 and tweets upfront the 5.25 as rear fill. then after its all in and sounding good find a good place for the 8s to complete the setup. run a y adapter off the sub preouts to another amp and install passive x-overs for them maybe.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Archived